Force carbonating in tap king bottles.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barge

Reaction score
G'day AHBers

I've started to force carb my tap king bottles using the method where you set the pressure and leave for a few days in tbe fridge. I considered the crank and shake method (as I was running low) but was hesitant as I doubt the bottles could stand the pressure.

Does anyone else force carb in the tap king? Or does anyone know what pressure they would safely withstand?

Cheers

I would be careful with those tap king bottles.
I have heard they can explode for no apparent reason.

Thanks. I figured as much.

As a secondary note, does anyone know why I'm not getting notifications for any posts? I'm guessing it's a setting but I turned all notifications on and it didn't seem to fix it.

I know some guys at our LHBC that naturally carb with no probs. they use 8 carb per keg.. Just another option I guess :)

I saved a heap of the tap king bottles to force carb. Thinking of a blank plate with a bike valve in it that fits in under the cap for carbonation and then when ready to drink slip in a new gas canister and into the tap king dispenser. Haven't done it yet

I naturally carbed the first batch no worries. When I went to bottle the second batch I realised I didn't have any fermentables on hand for priming. I decided to bottle and force carb with the sodastream. I've got a routine going now where I swap between the drinking keg and the carbing keg. Bit of a hassle but it's safer than cranking the pressure.

Just an update for anyone who is interested.

I finally put on my first brew for 2015 and was decidedly impatient to try it. I was still unwilling to crank the pressure too high so I set it to 100kPa and rolled the tapking for about 30 minutes. After 25-30 minutes I could hardly hear the gas coming out so I figured it would be pretty close. I let it sit for about 5 hours and then sampled. It was probably a little under. I was aiming for 2.5 volumes and was probably 2 - 2.2, at a guess. I still think setting to desired pressure and waiting a few days is still the better option but I thought I'd share for those that need a quick turn around beer in the tapking.

Cheers

I have bottle conditioned in them for quote a while; no issues.

They are PET so they won't explode dangerously or without warning like glass bottles.

They can hold the pressure of commercially-carbonated beer so there should not be too many issues force carbing - just cool right down and use the minimum of pressure. I've found that tapkings work far better with beer that is a bit less fizzy anyway.

12 psi for about 4 days usually does it for me. Bit suss on the bottles now though have had a couple explode for no apparent reason. Moving to kegging now

Back