Force carb stuff up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to kegging (just filled my second keg) and I've had a bit of a stuff up trying to force carb. I've got some mates coming over tomorrow to help put up a pool on the promise of beer on tap afterwards. The beer stocks are a little low so I needed something that would ferment quickly and be ready pretty much straight away, so I put down a hefeweizen, which has now finished fermenting. I transferred to keg this morning and attempted my first force carb. This is where I've run into trouble.

I connected the gas to the gas post (didn't have time to fiddle around changing lines to send gas down the beer post), set the reg to 300 kpa and commence rocking the shit out of the keg while counting in my head. Started thinking about other shit while the counting went on in the background before realising I'd counted to 80, not 50. I turned the reg off and the pressure only dropped back to about 240 rather 140 - 160. Not sure what to do, I purged the keg completely (with quite a bit of froth coming out the release valve. Once again, just winging it, with no rhyme or reason to my thinking, I started the process over again by turning reg to 300 and counting to 50 whilst rocking the keg (more gently this time). I turned the reg off and this time it dropped to about 220. Needing to get ready for work, I purged the keg until the reg showed 150 and turned the gas off. I came back about 40 min later, reg still showed 150 so I purged back to a serving pressure of 100. The proof will be in the first pour when I get home tonight, but just wondering peoples thoughts on whether this is going to be massively over-gassed and, if so, what's the best way to fix it before tomorrow?

Cheers,

It's a hef, it's probably better at 150

Next time set the reg to the desired carbonation pressure, ie 100, and then shake.

It might take longer but it shouldn't over carb

Thanks Stux, yeah being a hefe I figure if it's a bit over carbed it's not going to matter. With the first keg, I set it to 60 kpa (read this was a good level for most styles, but have since read more suggesting 80-100 would be a better allround pressure) and left it for a week. Formed a good head but tasted a little flat with not many bubbles in the glass, so I upped it to 80 and it was pretty good. My preferred gassing method will be to carb up at serving pressure for a week, but didn't have that luxury this time, so gave force carbing a go.

Back