For The Math Guru's.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenTheDrunk

Reaction score
Hi all

Just for Shits and Giggles. I use bleach on all of my HB equip. and as chlorine is essentially what bleach is, I decided to use high strength chlorine granules to make my own bleach...heaps cheaper and necessary in my current financial position and give the amount I drink !! As I said, this is just for a bit of fun as a mate worked it out for me but thought I would put it up here.

I have 700 grams per kilo of granule chlorine and want to know what the mixing ratio would be to make a 4% bleach solution. Now despite being tertiary qualified in Commerce and an accountant (retired who never worked as an accountant though), I thought surely I know enough to solve this issue...I was dead set wrong and it had nothing to do with having a few 7.5% "froffy's" under my belt (maybe just a little bit). My mate come up with 54 grams of the chlorine per litre of water will give me a 4% solution. He is off the radar for the next week but I would love someone off more infinite wisdom than me (almost all of you) to explain how he got to this figure. I am sure I will not be the only one who is interested in this explanation.

ps...if you can explain it, "pre tell" what your background is cos your a bloody guru.

Cheers and Beers

darren

Mate.. the shits like $1.50 for 2 liters at Coles. Better still, stretch your budget to some no name un scented sodium percarbonate loaded nappy wash. I think its about $3 per kilo. ******* around with nasty chlorine for 'shits and giggles'? Each to their own I guess.

Thanks Crusty.. that is bloody perfect. Dave70, I just do not know what can be used like what you are suggesting and the stellarsan will add up when I am brewing 180 litres at a time and using bottles as well as a keg setup with 6 kegs at this stage. I was just looking for a really cheap option. At a low concentration, apparently this works well and is a no rinse solution. If you have any better inexpensive recommendations I would be very interested. Cheers and Beers

Chlorine (even at low concentrations) eats kegs, looks cheap until you start needing to replace them.
Absolutely not a no rinse option either.
Dude there is being tight then there is being stupid, then there's drinking metho.
Mark

I brew 80L batches and use probably 2-3ml of Sellersan each time. They say on the product page that Stellarsan can be diluted down to 500L total.
For me that would be 166 batches! And a bottle is $6.45.. your looking at 3 - 4 cents per brew, pretty economical in my book for a no-rinse sanitizer.

You can even re-use the stuff, store it in a keg or a cube for your next batch if your that worried about cost.

Please understand that this is all a learning experience for me and frankly as Hogans Hero "Schultz" say..."I know nothing"

Cheers

If this is a learning experience, why are you brewing 180 Litres at a time? Thats a sure fire way of throwing 180L of expensive hops/malt/extract down the drain if it goes bad.

Please be careful, I know at least one home brewer, with a science background, gravely damaging his long term health with a homemade cleaning product.

I was thinking more bleach and vinegar which can be a good cleaner but very dangerous mixed together wrong.

I have found that chlorine based Miltons was the best at eliminating odours. I had an extract batch skunk once (i tried to re-use coopers yeast but mucked it up somehow) and no matter what cleaner i used (i used sodium percarbonate and star-san) the stink didn't go away.

Used a quarter bottle of miltons, filled up with cold water and left overnight, drained and filled up with hot water and drained and the odour was completely gone.

I brew 80L batches and use probably 2-3ml of Sellersan each time. They say on the product page that Stellarsan can be diluted down to 500L total.
For me that would be 166 batches! And a bottle is $6.45.. your looking at 3 - 4 cents per brew, pretty economical in my book for a no-rinse sanitizer.

You can even re-use the stuff, store it in a keg or a cube for your next batch if your that worried about cost.
so how much do you mix to per litre of hot water thanks

Why people would use bleach as a home brew cleaner makes ZERO sense to me.

Why people would use bleach as a home brew cleaner makes ZERO sense to me.

Its absolutely got its place as a studiously applied cleaner and disinfectant around the place, just not so much in the HB toolkit when far better options are available.
Plus it really gets your whites white.

Latest posts

Back