For the benefit of Southern Tasmanians (possibly all of Tassie)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep End

Reaction score
Just went to Woolworths, Just Juice long life apple juice, preservative free etc etc is $2 for 2 litres. Just wish I had more cash on me, could only get half a dozen today. Hopefully the sale is on for a few days.
Also Apple and Blackcurrant juice is the same price.
Would of liked half a dozen boxes, but nevertheless the next 23 litres of apple cider is about to get underway!

I picked up 20l of apple juice from Spreyton Juices for 20 dollars.
They gave me preservative free juice which was made the day before I picked it up.
The only thing you need to do is supply your own bucket or containers for the juice.
They also have a great range of ciders which are called Pure Sprayton Ciders. Because they are bottle conditioned I was able to propagate the yeast, initially I didn't think it worked but after a week the propagation started to bubble. My cider has now been bubbling away for about a week and a half.

Unfortunately I live in Albury so have to find another source of fresh apple juice.

Coles have 3L goonies of probably the same juice for $3 on a regular price, easier to handle.

Hillbrewer said:
I picked up 20l of apple juice from Spreyton Juices for 20 dollars.

They gave me preservative free juice which was made the day before I picked it up.

The only thing you need to do is supply your own bucket or containers for the juice.

They also have a great range of ciders which are called Pure Sprayton Ciders. Because they are bottle conditioned I was able to propagate the yeast, initially I didn't think it worked but after a week the propagation started to bubble. My cider has now been bubbling away for about a week and a half.

Unfortunately I live in Albury so have to find another source of fresh apple juice.
Was it from Spreyton

Edit: P.S. - Spreyton cider is really nice. They even have a hopped variety. I think Willie of 7 Sheds must give them a little.
Edit again: rant removed until more information obtained.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I got the juice from Sprayton, directly from the juicing shed. They were kind enough to draw off the juice straight after pressing before it went into the bottling line where the preservatives are added.[/SIZE]

Is it where the shed is where they serve cider? Or that packing shed on the way to Barrington? Or somewhere else?

If I can get this, I can supplement my roadcider.

It is in sprayton, 96 Sheffield Road,
Their contact details are on their web page http://spreytonfresh.com.au/
You will need to get in touch with them before hand, organise what you want and drop off the containers.
I found them very friendly and helpful, typical of a family ran business.

Thank you so much.

I've sent them an email, but if that don't work, I'll call them.

I've got some friends not far from there, so hopefully there will be some successful cider soon.

Goomba

Good luck with the cider, you will need to provide updates.

I've got their juice fermenting at the moment
OG 1.055
Volume: 20l
Temp 20 C
Yeast: Propagated from Sprayton Vintage Cider
No Nutrient

Fermenting slowly after 7 days the SG was 1.048. On that rate it will take 8 weeks to reach an SG of 1.000. I would like to leave some sweetness in the cider but haven’t figured out the best way to do this yet.
Once complete and after racking for several months I won’t be drinking this one until Christmas.

I was toying with the idea of taking it up to a friend’s house near Mt Hotham where it's cooler once I racked it to complete the secondary fermentation, but the small quantity probably isn’t worth the trouble.

Back