• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For sale: MORE cascade and chinook rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, please check this list to make sure you're getting what you thought you were getting. Note that the count refers to bags, not individual rhizomes. Each bag should have from 2 to 4, depending on size, quality, and my levels of concentration. Also, I had to fiddle with the Cascade a bit to make sure I could handle the numbers.
Code:
+-----------------+---------+---------+
| Name            | Cascade | Chinook |
| Pilchard        | 1       | 1       |
| beercus         | 1       | 1       |
| adsjax          | 1       | 1       |
| indica86        |         |         |
| Eagleburger     | 1       |         |
| Mall            | 1       | 1       |
| aster1          | 1       |         |
| DcPrahran       | 1       | 1       |
| Tahoose         | 1       | 1       |
| JotaPerro       | 1       | 1       |
| loco88          | 1       | 1       |
| SpiroZ          | 1       |         |
| danbeer         | 1       | 1       |
| KentGoldings    | 1       | 1       |
| JestersDarts    | 1       | 1       |
| swedebeer       | 1       | 1       |
| GrantSpatchcock |         | 1       |
| OneEye          |         | 1       |
| spilver         | 1       | 1       |
| koots           | 1       | 1       |
| Leviathan       | 1       | 1       |
| zappa           | 1       | 1       |
| slcmorro        |         | 1       |
| NorthKit        | 1       | 1       |
| PeteQ           |         | 1       |
| IsonAd          | 1       | 1       |
| Yeastfridge     | 1       | 1       |
| tarwin          | 1       | 1       |
| mofox1          | 2       | 2       |
| mwe             | 1       | 1       |
| jubilakka       | 2       | 2       |
| xlev            |         | 1       |
| fishinyum       | 1       | 2       |
| Cavemanbrew     |         | 1       |
| sgtpinky        |         | 1       |

I've now sent PMs to everyone I have on my list, with bank details. Let me know if you haven't heard from me!

benny

So what's the go with planting or storing these? It's best to put them in the ground somewhere around August, right?

I'm in for 1and1 all good, I have been out in the garden preparing the positions today before work, money will transfer tomorow.

How big are their root systems? Sq foot wise as they are going into my baccy garden and I don't want them to fight of foot space, I can sacrifice a few baccy plants for the room to grow them if they need 2ft spacings. Do you have any tips on getting the best for your buck spacing and soil wise? I sit at a comfortable 5.8 static throughout the garden so suit this type of plant, I hope growth along an end of the fence facing north gets me some goodies. I will be growing up for 2000 then north for as far as they want.

Cheers

Pilchard said:
I'm in for 1and1 all good, I have been out in the garden preparing the positions today before work, money will transfer tomorow.

How big are their root systems? Sq foot wise as they are going into my baccy garden and I don't want them to fight of foot space, I can sacrifice a few baccy plants for the room to grow them if they need 2ft spacings. Do you have any tips on getting the best for your buck spacing and soil wise? I sit at a comfortable 5.8 static throughout the garden so suit this type of plant, I hope growth along an end of the fence facing north gets me some goodies. I will be growing up for 2000 then north for as far as they want.

Cheers
We had ours limited width-wise by an open-bottomed wine cask, so I'm not sure how large a free root system will grow. Their main root is a tap root which can go quite deep.

Have to say I'm no expert. We just chucked them in the ground, and let them go for it. We did have a worm bin right near them, so perhaps the nutrients from that encouraged near-surface growth.

As for planting time, my mate breezy reckons get them in the ground now, and mulch over the top to protect them from the worst cold over winter.

I have read that if you store them well (in a fridge, etc... best check elsewhere for best) you can wait until after the coldest days to plant them.

oakburner said:
Put me down for a bag of each Benny.
Yo,

I've run out of first choice cascade, but I might have some smaller pieces or mongrels left. I'll let you know via PM.

Already received my hops and they look the goods! Arrived in great condition. I've got them in the fridge, ready to plant in the next week or so. Not too worried about extreme cold where I am.

Awesome!
Would love to get photographic updates as they grow and bloom from everyone.

Yeastfridge said:
Already received my hops and they look the goods! Arrived in great condition. I've got them in the fridge, ready to plant in the next week or so. Not too worried about extreme cold where I am.

Thanks Benny, mine arrived today too and were well packed. Hopefully can get them in the ground this month.

Have been reading up on hops productin, found a few good papers on nutrition, it seems these guys are nitrogen hungry beasts but also need trace and phosphorus and potassium to allow the uptake of N. They will need a semi balanced diet but more N than P And K. I would think a tomato food would come close. In my soil it means a soil application bi weekly with a foliar feed on the off week. This is for liquid feed to make up for what the organ ics don't have, the organics as they break down give minerals and trace elements to the plants.

Never feed directly, water before hand and make sure soil is actually wet. Feeding high salt food will kill of roots and set the plants back.

I am not an expert on these but a recommendation for planting would be use well rotted manure or compost and supliment with top dressings of manure or liquid fertiliser. I like the manures and seaweed stink bombs that i ferment with the addition of a good non urea based feed, look to orchid foods... bound N like in most foods are basically useless. Non urea based foods work straight away and won't hang around for years breaking down. You will also be able to use them effectively as a foliar spray.

Plants are plants and if you can grow big lush tomatoes then I reckon you can grow good bines.

NB. This is my observation from scientific data submitted from several universities here and in the US, it's my break down on a species from information used in broad acre growth, commercial production etc.

I haven't got to water yet but 30" in a conservative growing season is a lot of water, I'll break this down tomorow into mills per day, needless to say they are thirsty as well as hungry, this will be why the N values are so high as the dilution from the massive amounts of water still need to hit a growing tip several meters from the root zone.

I hope this helps those on the threads that have had bad results.

Cheers

Dean.

Thanks Benny and thanks Pilly. I have my spot picked out in the backyard. I will stake and cage an area to keep the gardener out and plant this weekend.The last time the gardener did the garden she pulled out my young papaya trees with the weeds.

Benny you're an Fn champion!

Received rhizomes yesterday well packaged, I'm looking forward to growing these suckers this year!

What's the general consensus on storing/planting these rhizomes once received?

Back