• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For Sale - Chinook and Victoria rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score
For sale: Chinook and Victoria rhizomes.

Victoria is in very low supply so if you want some don't hesitate. Plenty of Chinook to go around.

Price = $15 each.

I will package each rhizome in damp coir to keep moist. Detailed planting instructions will be included.

Postage charges;
1-2 rhizomes = $11.
3+ rhizomes = $15.
Postage will be done once per week on a Monday. Postage is express, I tried regular delivery last year and far too many rhizomes took over a week to reach their destination. The first delivery will be next Monday (11th May).

Payment is by bank deposit only.

I WILL NOT POST RHIZOMES TO WA OR TAS DUE TO QUARANTINE REGULATIONS.

Do not create a list in this thread. PM me with your request and I will send you my bank details.

Bugger, would have jumped on some chinook, but im in WA. If anyone in WA has any chinook or cascade, please hit me up with a PM. Cheers.

I am keen on 2 * Victoria hops as my last attempts were sabotaged by my dog.
Can you either confirm that your details are still correct or PM me the new details and I will wire the funds through.

Thanks

Roller

Depends where in QLD, we are a BIG state.

Yes please. I'll have to start planning and digging up the front yard now. -_- :beerbang:

Motabika said:
How would these varities go on qld?
I bought 3 different rizomes 2 yr ago from the Dr. Only the chinook survived in Brisbane. I think the Vic migbt have been DOA. Cascade fired a shoot or two then shrivelled.

So probably won't have much luck with them in Central QLD?

I understand some growers have had success with Chinook in SE Qld, I don't know about the Victoria though. I've wanted to try growing hops for a while now but have to convince SWMBO to relinquish the garden space needed for a big vine....

Both my chinook and victoria did pretty well this year for 1st year rhizomes. Looking forward to seeing what comes off them in the next few years. I think from memory I got about 500 grams wet combined from these which I was happy with for 1st year. No issues with them growing at all in Brisbane for me. Certainly not going to replace all the hops I use but definitely a bit of fun. I also have goldings and cascade which did really well this year.

I've sold quite a few rhizomes to QLD, not entirely sure where as I don't google map people's addresses :ph34r: . Feedback is mixed but that is the same for all regions as it depends so much on what you plant it in (soil type, ground vs pot), sunlight, water, drainage etc not to mention the gardening skills of the people looking after them. They don't seem to cope overly well with the heatwaves we get in Adelaide but I'm up in the hills and my hops are planted well back where they don't get hit by direct sun until well in to the afternoon. I'm getting 2kg of dry hops each year from a total of 6 plants but then I don't fertilise (during the growing season, they will get a few bags of horse manure soon to cover them over the winter), cut back any shoots or give them any love. They get sun and water and then it's up to them.

I suspect most of the deaths of hop rhizomes are due to people babying them, too much water and fertiliser whilst they are dormant causing them to rot. Anywhere you get a lot of rain you need to have very good drainage, especially at this time of the year whilst they aren't using the water to grow. Some parts of QLD and NSW get the average rainfall for Adelaide in a day, some recently had it in a few hours. That's not a good thing for rhizomes.

That said, I firmly believe that it is such an amazing experience to produce beers using your own hops. In the last few years I have brewed IIPAs using only my homegrown hops and :icon_drool2: . I'm not giving them away but the $15 per rhizome is relatively cheap and covers the time and effort I put in to divide the up and package them in such a way and people get the best chance to share the love I have for these plants and the resulting beers brewed with them. And the packaging is the part that takes so much of my time and also costs money for the materials. If I stuck a piece of rhizome in a bag and posted it I wouldn't charge as much for them.

All feedback on the rhizomes is welcome, positive and negative. Particularly the negative as that helps me do things better. It also helps those who are thinking about growing hops to understand if others have had success in their region.

As always, if you have an issue with the rhizome(s), please PM me. I'm less likely to be positive in response if you first bad mouth me on the forum before giving me the chance to respond.

Anyone in Canberra have any experiences growing hops? I've got a nice sunny spot in the garden where I could plant them if they'd survive our winter.

drfad said:
Anyone in Canberra have any experiences growing hops? I've got a nice sunny spot in the garden where I could plant them if they'd survive our winter.
They will be fine, you can always dig them up and replant later.
A big amount of hops grow around Bright and they have cold winters too.

DrSmurto said:
I've sold quite a few rhizomes to QLD,

I didn't buy from you. I am in FNQ but in the mountains. I am going to move mine as they did not flower but they did grow s there is some promise there.
For anyone that is curious, give it a go.

drfad said:
Lots of growers in ACT area.
I will be thinning' my Chinook in early Sept..ish. Happy to give you some. Send me reminder message mid-August if interested.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back