Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my spuds are in, hectic couple of days getting the beds ready, all the Brassicaceae are doing great chili seeds starting to poke through as is the tomatoes well on their way.
Finally Mr Fothergil has got Sun Gold tomatoes into Australia, only 5 seeds to a packet but looking forward to trying them.
001.JPG

002.JPG

Tonight a couple of Pork shoulder chops with apple sauce, a few neeps, well swede really, some snowball cauliflower which is starting to go to seed, broccolini, (under the swede) and some fresh garden peas. I will mash the swede with some spuds.
003.JPG

I used to feel sorry for those in Europe who didn't get to taste spuds, (prior to Sir Walter Raleigh) inventing them but swede is something else.

Went to the Garden Centre in Braeside, they had a wall of chilli took some home and planted the seed, have got a ship load. knew they weren't Birds Eye. Planted some in planter boxes got heaps growing on in pots, rang up the Garden Centre to ask them the name of the chilli. Medusa they tell me, look up Medusa, no heat and about the same as a capsicum. Deflated, will just have to add them to salads.
Got plenty of Birds Eye, Cayenne and Habanero though.
004.JPG

Medusa, it was a lot quicker germinating than the other chillies though.

Shattering. A name like Medusa you would think they have some bite!

I have some Archos, Poblanos, Anaheims, Serranos and Chocolate Morugas at the moment.

Earthed up my spuds yesterday, turned over two tonne of compost, mulched my rhubarb and 4 beds of spuds. Put all my seedlings undercover (which were hardening off) owing to the bad weather on its way, (happening as I type)
005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG

Any tips for keeping slugs and snails off my chilli plants? I have a little kiddo so trying to avoid blitzem but am considering it.
Put small bowls of beer (can be dregs from bottles, kegs fermenter etc) near or around your plants. They love beer (I think is actually the yeast they like) and will crawl in and drown. Steep slippery sided bowls or containers will catch the most.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I will put some out. Tired of seeing munched on plants!

Wherever the chilli plants are you can buy copper tape, apparently the snails and slugs will not cross copper. Haymes Paints and I think Porters have copper paint, a bit pricey mind, I have often wondered if that will work. Although after a while in the weather it oxidises and goes that verdigris colour, not sure if they will cross it then.

Fish curry, so pulled a couple of leeks and some garlic which I plant the smaller cloves separately from the main crop.
001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG
Tomatoes laid out in regimental order, got to decide now which ones get a gig and where they will go, and which ones go to neighbours.
004.JPG
The beer is an ESB of 68 IBU.
Silver beet, my wife will not eat the stalk. Chop it up fine and fry it with garlic. Then she loves it
005.JPG

Fish curry, so pulled a couple of leeks and some garlic which I plant the smaller cloves separately from the main crop.
View attachment 119189 View attachment 119190 View attachment 119191
Tomatoes laid out in regimental order, got to decide now which ones get a gig and where they will go, and which ones go to neighbours.
View attachment 119192
The beer is an ESB of 68 IBU.
Silver beet, my wife will not eat the stalk. Chop it up fine and fry it with garlic. Then she loves it
View attachment 119193
I put copper tape around my pots as per suggestion. Hopefully the little slugs keep off. Destroyed half my plants.

First lot of tomatoes in, splashed out on some weld mesh for supports. First covered the bed with 150 ml of compost and cow manure.
002.JPG

003.JPG

Some of those on Hydro are in, bought some soluble silica to add to the water this time around see how that goes.
001.JPG

After giving my rhubarb a good dose of Rooster Booster and mulching a few weeks ago the rhubarb has bulked up from scrawny to quite acceptable. Will be having some for desert tonight.
002.JPG

006.JPG

Sad times autumn, end of the summer veg got some cherry tomatoes will keep them as long as possible a few more Cherokee Purple to ripen. Picked 4.5 kg of beef steak and some Tommy Toe made some Passata, 2,5 litres
002.JPG 001.JPG
Picked 8 kg of Cherokee Purple made 4.5 litres of passata.
002.JPG 001.JPG
Moving forward getting the beds ready for the winter crops, seeds planted and starting to show.

Hibiscus Cannabinus, Kenaf, Indian Hemp. Leaves are full of protein and iron related to the Ocra plant.
One acre of Kenaf can sequester 8 times more carbon than one acre of evergreen trees, can also be used for removing heavy metals, and spent oil from contaminated soils.
Just read this thread from start to finish. What a great thread! I have just returned from 5 years Singapore and looking forward to getting into gardening and brewing.
As for the cannabis I have a friend who has invested quite heavily in Cannabis crops in Zimbabwe all low THC, it is being grown for food.
Your garden looks great by the way.

Latest posts

Back