Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first crack at a 3 sisters planting. Corn, climbing beans and pumpkin. 1 week between the pictures. Not too shabby.
IMG_20181215_133728_195.jpeg
IMG_20181215_133728_200.jpeg

One week away from the garden seems to be a long time for plants, guy over the road kept an eye on the watering etc in exchange for helping himself to crops.
002.JPG corn starting to flower. 001.JPG plenty of tomatoes
001.JPG reckon I would be able to make a canopy over the whole garden with this passion fruit vine.

005.JPG French runners climbing well.

Learned the same lesson as I have learned before, hot weather does not suit runner beans, they flower but the flower doesn't set. I have said to myself before I shall never grow them again, the french runners are so much more productive. Pulled out one lot of tomatoes and put a dozen late variety in, planted more dwarf beans and got all my beetroot seedlings in.

Another thing I noticed, I have three capsicum plants in the screen house, to let more cooler air in I opened the door, all three capsicums have aphids, a wasp came in and started devouring the aphids. I knew that wasps were carnivores, never thought about letting them loose on the aphids.

Another thing I noticed, I have three capsicum plants in the screen house, to let more cooler air in I opened the door, all three capsicums have aphids, a wasp came in and started devouring the aphids. I knew that wasps were carnivores, never thought about letting them loose on the aphids.
Wasps have almost single handedly saved me from using insecticide on my entire garden this season, including the hops. It's been great.

I have noticed when I have been fishing and using maggots as bait they have flown into the bait box picked up a maggot and flown off with it. Never crossed my mind about their use on insect pests in the garden.

Winter tomatoes in an unheated green house, first attempt at this, I have seen it done in Victoria but could have been a cooler weather variety.
002.JPG Yellow cherry about finished. 003.JPG Last of the cucumbers. 004.JPG
Winter veges planted, cauliflower, beetroot, peas, boc choy, garlic and silver beet.
006.JPG 007.JPG Swede, Cabbage, Romanesco and Broccoli going in this weekend.

One of the best times of the year, full of anticipation of the crops to come. Seedlings of the solanaceae family in the seed trays and in the incubator along with a couple of packets of Temptation strawberry's.
The cruciferous veges will soon be getting harvested, short on space for my spuds so they will be going into 30 litre pots. Still got plenty of pickled beetroot so looks like a fair bit of borscht will be on the table for the coming months.
003.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG 005.JPG

Ive been growing these mild chillies from South Africa called Peppadew.
They are actually trademarked, somehow I got myself seeds, and I grew them.
Several plants were one metre high before the missus pruned them for winter, thats why I have no photos.

I have some seeds if anyone is interested.
They are a lovely unique chilly, very nice on pizzas.

Several plants were one metre high before the missus pruned them for winter, thats why I have no photos.

Does it have much heat? I have dropped off the manufactured hot chillies plus one crop of chillies lasts for 2 or 3 years, I dry them my wife freezes them. I would be interested just for curiosity's sake.

Does it have much heat? I have dropped off the manufactured hot chillies plus one crop of chillies lasts for 2 or 3 years, I dry them my wife freezes them. I would be interested just for curiosity's sake.

Not much heat at all, probably almost the lowest.

Cucumbers!

Alright I must confess I did not grow these in my garden, but if i did have cucumbers in my garden....

I stumbled across these today in coles and had to get them.

Ingredients are: vinegar, water, salt, sugar, enigma hops and Young Henrys natural lager.
20191229_152726.jpg

They don't look quite like Tomatoes on the left...
Hibiscus Cannabinus, Kenaf, Indian Hemp. Leaves are full of protein and iron related to the Ocra plant.
One acre of Kenaf can sequester 8 times more carbon than one acre of evergreen trees, can also be used for removing heavy metals, and spent oil from contaminated soils.

Back