Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One bed has pretty much run its course and needs to be replanted anyway so I'll be yanking everything this weekend and going with the dilute vinegar fix also. About a cup per 3.7L seems to be the rate.
You could always plant some veg that will put up with a higher pH (I think beans is one) while the soil neutralizes.

I wonder how a silverbeet kimchi would go?
Its claimed (by more experienced food fermenters than me) that Chlorophyll (green leaf vegetables)
is undesirable in fermented foods. One thing I was disappointed to learn because I've had wheel barrows full of Kale and Silver Beet in my Aquaponics and wanted to make use of excess like Kale Sauerkraut etc. It doesn't make nice ferments like Cabbage or other colour vegetables. YMMV.
Never know unless you try...
I vacuum seel and freeze it for later uses like Spinach and Fetta recipes. No worries substituting with Silver Beet IMO.

What if you blanched the silverbeet, dried and then proceeded with the process of kimchi? Does blanching get rid of the chlorophyll?

What if you blanched the silverbeet, dried and then proceeded with the process of kimchi? Does blanching get rid of the chlorophyll?
Not sure but cooking will kill the natural bacteria that makes it ferment.
I did make a few Kale Sauerkraut up to 5l. Shredded with just enough water and salt to ~2% Salinity.
The ferment was totally successful. It was OK but not as nice as Cabbage.
You could always add it to Kimchi but not as the base malt etc :p

Silverbeet stems however...? Diced, good juicy chunky fill option for ferments? I think I have four different coloured Silverbeet atm. All green leaves just awesome coloured stems that you throw into the compost. Seems a shame.

True that.
I have added cross cut Silverbeet stems into fridged pickles and its nice but the worst part is the stringyness you get in Silverbeet stems especially when it gets large. Even when cross cut short those strings dont breakdown in a ferment. Good fibre value and flavor but not the greatest on the easy chewability scores etc.

Still harvesting the broad beans this will be the last of them though, Violet Sicilian, purported to be a Cauli cross Broccoli, goes green when cooked, Savoy cabbages still going almost ready to harvest only the one went to seed.
004.JPG 015.JPG

I put my silverbeet stems back into compost.

Hey, my okra and leaf amaranth seeds have failed to germinate after a couple of weeks. They were over 3 years old, so I ordered fresh stock from Eden Seeds - should arrive before the weekend.

Of course it goes without saying what is going to happen in the meantime...

That is the problem with buying seeds buy a packet of eggplant seeds and plant a few and the rest of the seeds go off before can use .

Store your airtight seed box in a pantry or somewhere dark and cool with minimum temp and humidity fluctuations.

The hardest thing I've found with growing food from seed is keeping up with the succession planting/sowing needed to achieve a continuous harvest.

We tend to put stems into soups or stocks, usually bundled up together to make it easy to remove after cooking.

Reminds me of when we had some relatives come over from Scotland one of them ordered a scotch fillet and when they put the steak down in front of him he said, 'No, I ordered the fish' !

In Europe and USA they are "the taste of summer".. of course here I've been growing them over the winter and it's probably too late to plant any more :p

Re the "patty pan" squash.
Well that was a stuff up, I assumed they would die off when the summer arrived. Instead they have gone ballistic and sending runners all over the place, loaded with squash. So it looks like they are actually a summer variety, not that there's a serious difference in daytime maxima around here.
I've prepared a bed for the next lot.

Back