Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you looked at adding trace elements very important and if going to dig out could trim back and dig up and trim roots and replant some plants flower when they think they are going die.

surly said:
Thanks for all the thoughts guys, I ended up wandering around the local nursery and grabbed an heirloom tomato - Russian Black.
Grows about 1.8m, so should fill the space nicely. The idea of black tomatoes amuses me too.
These are the same variety, you need to stake AND support the branches as the fruit will grow so large they literally break off. They are such a fantastic variety though, well with the extra effort.

1484258337848.jpg

The bushes are so healthy, a lot healthier than the ones at the berry farm, they are well cared for it could be that they are so dense and the air isn't getting through them. Another thing is they taste bloody awful, I had to spit the one out which I tried at the berry farm.
010.JPG

The rest of the outdoor plot is doing fine, the last 3 kilo of spuds were taken up yesterday, Musque de Provence pumpkins doing well, giving the outdoor tomatoes a bit of shade, and loads of beans.
004.JPG

Autumn just around the corner, plums finished, nectarines finished, peaches last of them picked, only fruit left to harvest apples pears kiwi fruit and feijoas
(later in the season) first pumpkins harvested , getting dangerous in the sling they were in, more to go, far to many tomatoes and still going strong, plenty of capsicum and egg plant, won't bother with Italian tomatoes again, can highly recommend King's Cobra climbing beans an improvement bred from Blue Lake.
015.JPG
005.JPG
017.JPG
The pumpkins are Musque De Provence.
Any gardeners interested in brewing the glass contains Garret Olivers Summer Ale, highly recomended.

Garden is starting to wind back, picked a load of capsicum still plenty more coming through and the last crop of dwarf beans still producing well, will get these again, called Simba, stringless and tasty. Tomatoes just about finished. :(
Planted early potatoes yesterday along with garlic, peas and broad beans.
002.JPG

Any tips on what to do with starchy corn?

Planted loads of corn and got some delicious cobs but should have harvested the remainder much earlier and either frozen or given to friends.

Lesson learned for next season but in the meantime I've got quite a few cobs that won't be great as cob corn.

Corn chowder?
Adjunct in beer?

Yeah but what to do after? They're starchy and bitter now - freezing won't reverse that.

Mexican tacos or corn bread tacos the corn needs processing.

manticle said:
Any tips on what to do with starchy corn?

Planted loads of corn and got some delicious cobs but should have harvested the remainder much earlier and either frozen or given to friends.

Lesson learned for next season but in the meantime I've got quite a few cobs that won't be great as cob corn.

Corn chowder?
Adjunct in beer?
Don't know what you could do with it apart from saving it and replanting for next season. Came back today from Easter Hols garlic is about eight inches high, early spuds just poking through and peas and broad beans up and going well.
Pumpkins and capsicums still going, beans finished, the only thing I will plant now is some more greenfeast peas, will be making major changes to the garden for next year.
My 2 exotics which I am allowed,(or is that an urban myth) came in at a good weight so that's the winter gas bill taken care of, totally energy independent now. :D

Just chewed a bit of each cob and anything that wasn't utterly dry starch was cut from the cob and turned to chowder with chook stock, potatoes, chilli and fresh herbs. Delicious and a good solution.

I don't know how quick Monty Don thinks the sugars turn to starch, but I watched his TV show where he dug up some spuds, ran to the kitchen, washed them and put them straight into the pot.

wide eyed and legless said:
I don't know how quick Monty Don thinks the sugars turn to starch, but I watched his TV show where he dug up some spuds, ran to the kitchen, washed them and put them straight into the pot.
If only he knew how long spuds are out of the ground before they hit the supermarket shelves...

Wicking beds finally motoring along with various kales, carrots, beetroot, mesclun and spinach. ******* cabbage moths found the kale early and are being dealt with via a DIY veg oil / garlic / chili spray.
I think the baby spinach looks a little light on green, though the plants are healthy. Might just be use to the heavily fertilized shop bought stuff. The basil is clearly in strife, I'm tipping they dont like wet feet.

20170510_070356_zpsc2jt6tge.jpg

20170510_073500_zps73zyyshf.jpg

What did you line your wicking beds with? I've been talking with my neighbour who lined his with builders plastic (PE) but cautioned me that it seems to be easily perforated by the bottom section of fill - he thinks one of his beds has a leak. I think builders plastic is about 200 micron. I was having a look at the big green shed and they have PVC pond liner which is 500 or 600 micron. Thinking it could be a better option as its thicker and seems to have a little give/stretch to it - unless there's a good reason not to use PVC liner.

earle said:
What did you line your wicking beds with? I've been talking with my neighbour who lined his with builders plastic (PE) but cautioned me that it seems to be easily perforated by the bottom section of fill - he thinks one of his beds has a leak. I think builders plastic is about 200 micron. I was having a look at the big green shed and they have PVC pond liner which is 500 or 600 micron. Thinking it could be a better option as its thicker and seems to have a little give/stretch to it - unless there's a good reason not to use PVC liner.
Yeah..dont, at least not on a larger scale. These things are 1200 x 3200 x 600 and hold well over over a tonne of - hand shoveled - material in each, so a lot of weight bearing down on the aggregate, and thus, the liner. I ended up getting paranoid and putting down two layers of plastic then a HD polly tarp. A pond liner would have been a far better option, but you still have to be careful.

To be honest, would have been easier to split up two IBC containers and knock up an attractive surround than try to line the tubs I had rolled. Those things are made just for the job with none of the fretting over leaks.

Dave70 said:
The basil is clearly in strife, I'm tipping they dont like wet feet.
I've grown basil in a deep water culture aquaponics setup with great results through summer so as long as there is enough oxygen and warmth they don't seem to mind wet feet. Not sure what is causing yours to be growing so poorly though.
Nice setup by the way.

Back