Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two More rats have taken the bait, I may have to keep putting it down I have noticed that the blocks of bait has been completely consumed, I wonder how many more are dead which I will never find.

Rodent Bait Station see those in the gardens in the shopping center they must have cameras on them to stop people stealing .

They have to use them from a litigation and best practices point.
Have half a dozen round my place and put a couple of baits on nails on the rear fence for easy monitoring and this tends to be there runway and are usually fully eaten every couple of months.
Some of the bait stations around the outside of the house have bait still there 3-4 years later

I put more bait out last night and they must drag it off and eat it elsewhere because they're gone today.

Last of the tomatoes for the year still got plenty of beans carrots and cucumber, capsicum will be good for at least another 3 weeks or so.
001.JPG

To expensive, depending on how big Haciluku wants his beds I would be going for the 25 mm treated pine or as Airgead suggests something that doesn't contain the arsenic personally I use the cover sheets for roofing or fencing iron free and no worries about contaminants, although most vegetables make toxins to prevent us mammals eating them, I doubt whether they realise we do cook them.

I would like the bed to be 1.2m x 0.6m x 0.4m high. Four beds total for crop rotation. Most like to be timber like Airgead suggested. Prefer the prefab metal box but it is expensive for the similar size.

I suspect my grape leaves are eaten by mouses. Can see some holes in the ground, near the base of plant.

I would like the bed to be 1.2m x 0.6m x 0.4m high. Four beds total for crop rotation. Most like to be timber like Airgead suggested. Prefer the prefab metal box but it is expensive for the similar size.
Ask around for some cover sheets, if you see some metal fencing or roofing going on, cost nothing make up some metal or wooden posts a few tech screws and your in business. Mind you you will need a grinder or a nibbler.

Ask around for some cover sheets, if you see some metal fencing or roofing going on, cost nothing make up some metal or wooden posts a few tech screws and your in business. Mind you you will need a grinder or a nibbler.

Thanks for the advice. Will keep an eye on these. I have some left over wooden pallets for roof tiles but need to check the chemical treatment they used on these pallets.

Had a good week last week for scoring some gear for free, several sheets of colorbond and 1.5 sheets of reinforcing mesh from across the road where they are building a new house, didn't know this but I was asking about the use of polystyrene under the cement, (just getting friendly so I could score the mesh) insurance companies will only insure a house built over the polystyrene for 7 years. I didn't know that.

Had a good week last week for scoring some gear for free, several sheets of colorbond and 1.5 sheets of reinforcing mesh from across the road where they are building a new house, didn't know this but I was asking about the use of polystyrene under the cement, (just getting friendly so I could score the mesh) insurance companies will only insure a house built over the polystyrene for 7 years. I didn't know that.
We looked at building a new house, but life changed and it didnt end up happening, i digress... anyway when we were going through the processes every builder we talked to said that while its a cheaper way to do it and it also meets minimum regulations most engineers wont certify it as suitable as it will eventually fail causing cracks in the foundation and walls due to movement.

Thats exactly what the concreting guys told me, yet I have seen it on so many sites, I really had my eye on the leftover polystyrene, though I didn't need it, and the suppliers came and picked the leftover blocks the next day. I asked the concreters if the builder was obliged to tell the purchaser of the house the pit falls of the poly blocks they told me they were, I also asked them if they would have a house built using the poly blocks they all answered in the negative.

Polystyrene would depend how well the concrete is engineered but looking at the house next door and the house next to that not all concrete is equal would prefer the one that did not use Polystyrene they spent time putting on good foundations with good steel.

Time to chit them spuds for an early crop, going to try another shop bought spud, from Aldi can't remember the name, began with a K something Farm a really good all rounder especially for roasting.
Still waiting to get my broad beans in this weather is shite to hot and no rain, also holding up my main harvest I need a bit of moisture in the air when drying out.

Cleaning up this long weekend, getting the hydro prepared for summer, trialing some cool weather tomatoes for the green house 'Iceberg' with a bit of luck will hopefully get some winter tomatoes.
Planted Broad Beans, peas,swede, beetroot and leeks. Carrots under cover, silver beet seeds and cabbage seeds.

Seedlings I planted coming through nicely, tomatoes all up, carrots coming up as well as peas and beans.
Seedlings
002.JPG
A bit of a phenomenon a 3 leaved shoot, (beetroot) never seen one before.
001.JPG

Just found this thread and I'm not surprised to find the cross-over. I'm going to be getting on the bandwagon as soon as the reno is finished; I'm keen to have good home-grown food to go with the good home-made beer. Seeing seedlings come to life is the same kind of exciting as seeing a brew start bubbling in earnest I think.

Just found this thread and I'm not surprised to find the cross-over. I'm going to be getting on the bandwagon as soon as the reno is finished; I'm keen to have good home-grown food to go with the good home-made beer. Seeing seedlings come to life is the same kind of exciting as seeing a brew start bubbling in earnest I think.
Just as rewarding as home brewing, be prepared to read heaps, biggest difference is if you stuff up the first time it is another year before you can have another crack.:)

Latest posts

Back