Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That time of the year to get the seeds in. Rhubarb I have in the garden is getting a bit old so will be planting some new sets.

IMG_0164 - Copy.JPG

I grew some spuds over winter last year but undercover, tried it again this winter but out in the open. Just been taking them from under the haulms but dug the remainder up to prep the beds for the summer crops.
Last of the spuds.
IMG_0232 - Copy.JPG

I have a bunch of HDPE fermenters - like 5 or 6 of them, and pressurised fermenters, and now a stainless fermenter...Its gotten out of control.
I feel guilty just throwing them in the bin. Could I spray paint them, fill them with soil and then use them as planters for fruit trees?

The spray paint is because I think that the soil getting light struck is a bad idea? Not really much of a gardener, but giving it a crack.

I have a bunch of HDPE fermenters - like 5 or 6 of them, and pressurised fermenters, and now a stainless fermenter...Its gotten out of control.
I feel guilty just throwing them in the bin. Could I spray paint them, fill them with soil and then use them as planters for fruit trees?

The spray paint is because I think that the soil getting light struck is a bad idea? Not really much of a gardener, but giving it a crack.
HDPE will not react well to ultra violet light, if you can get hold of some sisalation and wrap that around it will keep the soil cool and protect the HDPE.

I’ve just got a little patch I’ve been growing food on. Garlic is coming along ok, shallots, broad beans, spuds, peas, lettuce, Swedes, tomatoes under the plastic and might be counter productive planting out a couple weeks too early. There’sa few metres sown with corn up the back but not emerged yet. There’sa few other things plugged in to little spaces too. We get a lot of food out of this space.
IMG_1745.jpeg

Back