Food & Beer Pairing - Are They Serious?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
around here they serve carlton mid with a wedge of truffle in the bottle neck, deevine

What no one here's had a pint of Guinness and a Irish stew..... :icon_cheers:

I generally enjoy pairing my beer with another beer. And another beer, then another beer.....

I guess none of you can swear very well in Swiss German, because the dry spritzy bitterness doesn't translate into something I would be putting in my mouth!

I reckon I will keep these food matching notes as a reference for when I write my next beer cook book. Bummer about it not going with beef though I had a couple of good ideas but I guess I will have to throw them out and start again. I wonder if the beer goes well with cake??

Try black pudding with a scottish wee heavy. Just not the same without it.

I remmber getting a pamphlett from Coles once that matched a particular wine (after dissecting the finer parts of the bouquet and palate) with sausage and bean hotpot. Ooooh fancy!

Many of the CUB range match OK with prawns and other basic bbq type food but I'm not sure why they need to try and get pretentious about it.

The one thing I don't mind about beers like CD, MB and XXXX (as opposed to shit 'premium' lagers like crown) is the lack of pretension (although the reverse blokey marketting can get a bit wanky as well). Drink it cold, on a hot day at a mate's barbecue, straight from the stubby. Matches well with whatever the **** is being cooked. I'd never match it with a Lebanese Greek.

The context of good company and relaxing makes some of their range work well. Drink it at the pub on friday when Jugs are $10ea, drink it at a mate's house when you've been shovelling shit on a 40 degC day and he's got 12 of them in the fridge.

Marketting and homogeneity on the other hand shit me to tears.

I guess none of you can swear very well in Swiss German, because the dry spritzy bitterness doesn't translate into something I would be putting in my mouth!

Not you, but your wife (hopefully)...

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I like my vegetarians lightly charred and washed down with a nice cold Fat Yak. I find them remarkably tender. Remember to bleeed them properly or you will never get that rotten corn taste out of them.

Hallertau hopped beers go with chocolate.

Everything goes with my Gucci handbag.

Fat Yak

Type: Ale ALC/VOL: 4.7%
A lovely golden amber colour, the first impression is the distinctive hop driven fruity and herbaceous aromas, giving characteristic passionfruit and melon notes. The taste is refreshingly clean on the palate which leaves you looking forward to the your Fat Yak. www.matildabay.com

Food Match: Steak, Tapas, Chicken Parma with Chips (not salad!), Chorizo Sausage Pizza, Seafood

:huh:

I'm looking forward to the my fat yak. Are you looking forward to the your?

Can't believe they actually wrote 'not salad' and believed it warranted an exclamation mark. I think Bill Hicks was right about marketting people (sorry Hoser).

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless they are talking about the anti-friend abilities of salad

Last edited by a moderator:
Fat Yak probably doesn't work any better.

Back