Font without thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in relation to your 650ss and threading to the shank:

Mine too was quite tight. Wasnt many turns at all until hand tight.. maybe 2... my second one im actually having trouble initiating.. I must be tired and doing something wrong...

leighaus said:
in relation to your 650ss and threading to the shank:

Mine too was quite tight. Wasnt many turns at all until hand tight.. maybe 2... my second one im actually having trouble initiating.. I must be tired and doing something wrong...
How'd you end up going with taps? My faucet wrench still hasn't arrived. Should be here on Monday.

OK, so I bought a cheap, crappy hole saw which, like I thought it might, turned its nose up at cutting through the metal top of my freezer lid. Asked my father-in-law for one that would cut through metal but I couldn't get his to do the job either. All I managed to do was widen my pilot hole.

20140913_080101.jpg

20140913_080120.jpg

Ended up buying a $28 bi-metal hole saw but still cannot cut through it. Main problem, I think, is not being able to keep it steady because of the pilot hole. Video on YouTube suggests a step drill and milling oil. This is becoming the most expensive hole I've ever seen.

Help please?

use a 4 mm drill bit and drill 30 holes around the edge of your "hole" then just rip out the metal

fie smooth or drop in something (like plastic polly pipe) to protect the beer lines from the roughedge and bog it up with silicone

the font will cover the rough edge

Or superglue a piece of plastic to the top and do a fresh pilot hole with the bimetal saw. Then carry on.

Cheap step drill bits from bunnings for around $20. I use them drilling penos on coolrooms for work. This is by far the easiest way for your problem plus alot cheaper than good holesaws. I promise that you will find step drill bits handy on more than just this occasion.

Dont drill too fast and use lube.

I had considered drilling multiple holes as you suggest, Maheel. Still considering it. Will likely depend on if I get a chance to go to Bunnings to buy a step drill bit and do it properly.

Thanks again, all.

thuperman said:
Finally, I tried to connect my font, shanks and taps (Perlick 650SS) - just by hand for now - and I couldn't get the shank onto the tap very far. How would I tighten it?

attachicon.gif
20140905_093315.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Hi Thuperman, did you end up getting the Perlick 650ss's fitted to those shanks OK? Just that I was looking to purchase those same shanks (and font actually) for the 650ss's I've ordered....

BobCharlie said:
Hi Thuperman, did you end up getting the Perlick 650ss's fitted to those shanks OK? Just that I was looking to purchase those same shanks (and font actually) for the 650ss's I've ordered....
Yep, worked fine. Tightened with the faucet wrench, loosened a bit, tightened again, ...

Where did you get the 650s? Adventures in Homebrewing? Have you ordered yet? I'm after a matching growler filler but the shipping is $41.50 flat rate. :unsure:

So, if you don't post pics, it didn't happen, right...

I drilled out the ply, but when I tried to set it all up, the bolts were about 1-2mm too short to get the nut on. I think I'd forgotten to measure the rubber between the font and the and the freezer. I secured the bolts to the underside of the freezer and it is really sturdy. Plywood not necessary in the end.

20140922_205117.jpg

Here's a little pic of the internal setup with 3 of my 4 kegs.

20140922_205135.jpg

And the final product...

20140922_205035.jpg

20140922_205023.jpg

thuperman said:
Yep, worked fine. Tightened with the faucet wrench, loosened a bit, tightened again, ...

Where did you get the 650s? Adventures in Homebrewing? Have you ordered yet? I'm after a matching growler filler but the shipping is $41.50 flat rate. :unsure:
Yep, I ordered from Adventures in Homebrewing Monday night, and just got notified that they arrived in Oz this afternoon (i.e. less than 48 hrs)! Estimated delivery to Brisbane is tomorrow morning.....Gotta love UPS Express!

I ordered a growler filler too......bugger, if I had of ordered a couple of days later I could have tacked an extra one for you onto my order to save the minimum postage!

How have you found the shanks and font with the 650ss (looking to order the sames ones)? All fit together OK? Any foaming issues from the shanks?

BobCharlie said:
Yep, I ordered from Adventures in Homebrewing Monday night, and just got notified that they arrived in Oz this afternoon (i.e. less than 48 hrs)! Estimated delivery to Brisbane is tomorrow morning.....Gotta love UPS Express!

I ordered a growler filler too......bugger, if I had of ordered a couple of days later I could have tacked an extra one for you onto my order to save the minimum postage!

How have you found the shanks and font with the 650ss (looking to order the sames ones)? All fit together OK? Any foaming issues from the shanks?
All good, but if anyone is reading this and is soon to order from AIH, let me know before you place the order. I'll pay for the product, postage to Sydney and whatever you wish to charge for the inconvenience.

I haven't had any problems with the shanks. Seems to have fit fine. I have nothing to compare to.

No foaming issues apart from the ones that I've had that seem to be due to overcarbing. See here. Seems a pretty good product and I can vouch for Cheaky Peak being very helpful.

Latest posts

Back