Foaming Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
I've got a keg of American Brown Ale that for the life of me I can't get to dispense properly and I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I over-gassed it to start with and was dispensing nothing but foam. :(

I then de-gassed the keg over 24 hours and re-gassed using 'the Ross method' (which I have had subsequent success with) HOWEVER I still get nothing but foam!

How can I fix this? Please help as this is the only keg in the fridge and I'm thirsty for beer not foam. <_<

Thanks

Fish

Sounds like it is still over carbonated. Keep bleeding off gas until your pressure levels get right down (~100kPa or less) when you leave the keg alone to equilibrate with the head space.

JMO here but, while it must work quite well for people using the Ross method of carbonating, if your beer is cold and you give your beer ~100kPA of pressure (which should be around your serving pressure) you can shake the keg driving in the gas just like the well documented shake method you refer too. However, at this pressure is is very hard to overcarbonate and the gas goes in nearly as quick anyway. I just keep shaking until I can't hear the gas going in anymore or I don't see a pressure drop below 100kPa. And ta da- your keg is carbonated and sitting as 100kPa.

JMO but adding extra pressure into the kegs to "speed things up" (eg. 300kPa) is asking for over carbonating and introducing a lot of different variables.

but each to their own. My way works for me (well did when I still had my keg fridge :( )

Justin

Back