Foaming during bottling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drose

Reaction score
So I bottled my first brew a week or so ago..
When I primed the bottles (using normal white sugar) they foamed up a lot and most overflowed somewhat before i could seal them. (I sealed one at a time - ie. fill, seal, fill, seal etc)

I filled them using the tube with the little valve that fills the bottles from the bottom up.. so they all had the correct neckspace..

The SG of the brew was also correct (according to my hydrometer) at the time of bottling..
Will this have any adverse affects and does it always happen?
Should i just not fill them so high next time?

It sounds like it was bottled just a little bit too early. I've only had this happen once, with a wheatbeer that probably needed an extra day or two. Also, when filling with a rapid bottler I normally still leave aprox 1-2 cm headspace before I pull out the bottler, then I get around 3-4cm of headspace in the bottle.

If the final gravity was ok, it maybe something about the brew mixing with the sugar. I remember reading something about the difference between adding dextrose grains at bottling as opposed to dissolved dextrose - ie foaming can result if the dextrose isn't dissolved. At the time this rang true with my experience as I was having the same sort of problem you've described. Since I started using dissolved dextrose I've had no such difficulties.

cheers
reg

What ratios do you use to dissolve the dextrose for priming?

I use a cup or so of boiling water - dissolve the dextrose, cool then add to the bottling bucket, then add the wort to be bottled.

cheers
reg

I think what you are brewing as well can influence foaming straight from the brewer. I recently helped a mate bottle a dark beer of some description, and it seem to me to be "heady" enough as is -- foaming like a sumbiatch.

Coupled with that, i did a ginger beer and it was quite bubbly as well, where as most of the lagers/pils i do are not bubbly..

Back