Foam pouring keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boybrewer

Reaction score
I have two kegs that are just pouring foam . They are at 2*c and have dirty carbonated them both . It has been around 6 weeks and are still pouring foam . I have degassed them and regassed them and still can't get them to carbonate at all . If some one could give me an idea of what's going and help would be much appreciated .

Dirty carbonated = force carbonated? If so how?

When you say degassed you mean vented headspace?

What are you line lengths/taps/regulator pressure etc?

Thanks for the quick reply Waggastew .

Dirty carbonated = forced . Vented head space and then forced and rocked it .

Degassed after it poured foam for 2 - 3 weeks and then degassed it then re gassed still pouring foam .

Line length can't remember maybe 3 mt but this is the first time I have had this problem .
Tap is a gun and reg pressure at 10 -12 Kpa .

If you have had kegs pour OK before its likely to be overcarbed. To fix it you can do it:

Slow Way - Keep venting the head space as often as you can over the next couple of days until its basically flat. Hook up gas and be patient (my kegs tend to carb at that temp and pressure in about 4-5days anyway),

Fast Way - Vent head space, unclip lid a BIT so keg is not sealed and leave in keg fridge for a day or so. Hook back up and wait.

One strategy in future if your in a hurry is to do a mini-force carb (say 60-80% way) then let serving pressure do the rest. Saves overcarbing. Good guide to this method below from Mark^*******

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/10667-guide-to-keg-forced-carbonation/page-10#entry835599

PS. Other problem could be crap in your lines/tap that is causing gas to come out of solution? Might be worth running some cleaning solution through your lines just to make sure.

I had a similar issue when I switched regs and the new one was marked in kPa only. I manged to convert my normal 10psi serving pressure to kPa using 1 psi = 14 kPa (don't ask), rather than 1 psi = 6.9 kPa so effectively doubled my serving pressure and spent a week pouring foam blaming the new reg and cursing the LHBS I bought it from before the lightbulb finally came on

I found the quickest way to degas the kegs was to remove them from the keezer, vent the CO2, keep venting every few hours until the beer was at or close to ambient temps, then back into the keezer, reconnected the gas with reg set at 70kPa and they were ready to pour when they were chilled again 24 hours later

Thanks for your replies guys I shall vent them over the next couple of days and see how I go .

Back