Foam on top of wort without adding yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GalBrew said:
Soooooo, you probably shouldn't be waiting up to 24 hours to pitch either. I would be no chilling if immediate pitching after chilling is an issue.
I can understand that, though I've never had a problem with it within that specified time frame. This is the first instance outside of that time frame by a long shot.

Silver said:
Sorry m8, I could not believe what i read in your first post especially after seeing that you were a "Beer God"
and after reading what you just posted here i am a little more puzzled. I don't think it's ever been more than a minute before i have pitched and got lid/gladwrap on and FV put to bed.

Good for you bloke.

Yes I am a beer god, look, it says so under my name. When I applied for beer god status, they were out of stock. I filled that need by posting here on AHB.

I send out little vinegar flies to people trying to score cheap shots too.

You have to admit it is pretty puzzling why you would tempt fate like that brad. I don't think anyone's trying to score cheap shots. It's an obvious error, it had obvious consequences, suck it up and move on.

brad81 said:
I can understand that, though I've never had a problem with it within that specified time frame. This is the first instance outside of that time frame by a long shot.

Good for you bloke.

Yes I am a beer god, look, it says so under my name. When I applied for beer god status, they were out of stock. I filled that need by posting here on AHB.

I send out little vinegar flies to people trying to score cheap shots too.
Did not intend to offend or upset you mate.

Ha. I came to this thread thinking "aeration foam....happens all the time...". Yeh....no.

I did an intentional wild ferment earlier this year on a Berliner Weiss base. It actually turned out really well and took out a gold at our last club comp.

Either way, make sure you isolate or chuck those fermenters when you are done!

Is the beer any good...that is what I want to know. So what if he left it 4 days. Lesson learnt.

Bottle/keg it if tatse ok.

Camo6 said:
What sucks is if you'd posted the first pic in the infections thread you would have got "looks fine to me."

I've pitched @ 22-24*c a fair few times when it's getting late, I've had too many beers and I've had the immersion chiller running way too long. Not ideal practice but the freezer ferment chamber brings it down pretty quickly and too be honest, my palate's not that sensitive (or maybe I'm just not that fussy). Unless you no chill, pitch as soon as you can.

I always pitch warm and throw it into my fermenting fridge, it's an excellent way to reduce the lag period.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Is the beer any good...that is what I want to know. So what if he left it 4 days. Lesson learnt.
Bottle/keg it if tatse ok.
I would also like to know if it tastes any good.

At least you know your brewing process is relatively clean, five days and 1 point isn't to bad, large scale stability test lol The krausen looks pretty clean doubt its bacteria I would crash chill at expected FG that might help stop it dropping further than you want depending on what actually has taken off...

Mr. No-Tip said:
Either way, make sure you isolate or chuck those fermenters when you are done!
Probably not necessary to chuck them...? A good soak in hot Napisan/PBW, plus maybe a lengthy soak in dilute bleach solution, and they should be good. Label them and keep track of what future batches you ferment in them, which will identify any further problems (just in case). It's good practice to keep track of which batch comes from which FV anyway.

Phillo said:
I've been meaning to try a simple (aka, cheap) batch of beer left to ferment with what's in the air.

Does anyone still do this?
I haven't done that as such, but I have left gravity sample tubes open to the air and they have picked up wild yeasts.. I was going to harvest it and make a mini batch at one point but I never got around to it. :lol: I have one fermenting on the kitchen bench at the moment which is actually from a proper recipe so I might give it a taste when it's done and see how it went.

slcmorro said:
Should this be in Announcements?
You're probably right, I misinterpreted it as "support". My bad.

Hydro today reads 1010 in both vessels. Doesn't taste bad at all :) I'll grab another sample tomorrow and crash chill it if it's finished.

Now that it seems ok are you going to keep a yeast sample to keep as your own locally cultured house yeast :p

Glad to hear its all good.

Well I kegged this last Wednesday after keeping it at 1deg for a while.

One smells a little funky and tastes pretty good, the other, well, I'm going to leave it alone for a bit and see if it improves (doesn't taste all that great). Wild yeast does not floc all that well.

Fermenters are being nuked at the moment, will rinse them out and give them another dose. If the flavour returns I'll be off to Bunnings to grab some newbies.

mmmyummybeer, hmm no :D

I'll be very interested to see how these turn out. Never know you might have stumbed upon some wonderful magic yeast.

Or it will taste like cabbage.

Back