Foam On Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHB

Reaction score
I will be doing a talk on foam on beer at the next club meeting Friday 18/08/17
Looking at what builds a good head on a beer, how to fix common problems with too little or too much foam.
Text will be posted here after the meeting
If you aren't a club member you are still welcome to come along, meet up with some local brewers.
6:30 for a start around 7:00PM
Hamilton North Bowling Club
33 Boreas Rd Broadmeadow
Map

Hope to see you there
Mark

I'm in qld so obviously won't be there but look forward to reading up on it. My head retention from bottles seems to be lacking and would love to improve it

I'll see if we can get someone to bring a camera, I have a couple of practical demonstrations planed and we will see if we can get pictures included in the text.
I made the mistake of thinking "this will be easy..." wrong its freaking complicated.
Mark

Plan to be there.
I have a good quality DSRL camera which I can bring along.
What do you envisage using it for?

Ah - taking pix of foam on beer, or the lack thereof
Mark

Mark, ever considered in creating a youtube channel? Weekly, fortnightly or monthly videos. I'd certainly watch them.

I'll watch this space for sure. I usually get good head retention but every now and then not! and wonder why...
Like. Does golden syrup at 4.7% kill head retention in a Stout that would normally have good head and retention? :confused:

Wouldn't think so, well not on its own, probably going to be part of the equation.
Mark

I had a quick query from up here - does skimming from the boil negatively or positively impact foam retention or texture? Some malts (e.g. German) produce a massive amount of hot break and foam on the boil, so I imagine the positive/negative effect would be more pronounced with these malts.

That is one of the questions we will be covering in the notes, try to get them posted on Sat or Sun

Also be interested to hear if there's a significant difference between oxygenating wort v's splashing.

I've recently been oxygenating my wort and I've noticed an improvement in the head and lacing.

Disclaimer: I often change a couple of things and keep crap notes, so it could be anything.

Reminder
Have a planed a couple of practical demonstrations that I think should be worth seeing. Will try to get some decent photos (thanks Warra), but seeing it live will be better.
Mark

Hi Mark, how did everything go with the demo?

I think it went OK, lot of ground to cover. I spent the week following in bed with the flu so haven't got the notes up - will do so soon
Mark

Latest posts

Back