Foam layer on top after F.G reached?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopers308

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just seeing if anyone else has had this before.
I've got an AG brew in the fermenter now that is a proven recipe I've done 4 times in a row now with very consistent results. By that I mean I'm getting consistent OG readings and getting consistent FG readings, so feel very confident doing this particular recipe.

The problem is when I went to dry hop on day 7 I noticed it still had a heavy foam on top, when usually the top has cleared out a fair bit by then. My FG i was aiming for was 1.010 and it's there, it hasn't moved in 5 days, so it's finished. But the foam still indicates something is going on still??

I've been brewing a long time now and never had an infection yet, but not ruling it out.
It looks like a healthy foam, not discoloured or smelly and the sample still tasted fine.

I'm at day 12 now in the primary and no change, I usually cold crash around day 7-8 if everything is done.

Is this normal and just something I haven't come across yet? Pretty reluctant to bottle it until I'm 100% sure it's ok.

pcmfisher said:
Which yeast did you use?
US05 by chance?
I'm getting the same foam layer as coopers and yes I used US05, why?

mtb said:
I'm getting the same foam layer as coopers and yes I used US05, why?
Sometimes the krausen with US-05 just decides to overstay its welcome and takes forever to drop even if the brew has reached FG. Nothing a good cold crash doesn't fix though.

I had this happen to me recently using wyeast 1056. As rocker mentioned a good cold crash had it gone in no time. Even lightly tapping the side of the fermenting bin helped break it up. I haven't noticed any negatives to its presence as yet.

Yep, the act of dropping in some hops or giving a gentle swirl should see most of it collapse into the beer after a few hours. And of course cold crashing. Doubt it is anything to worry about, if it tastes good then you should be sweet.
I find it happens regularly with US05, 1056 and 1256.

My next step was to cold crash and see what happens. Was just making sure my readings weren't still going down slowly. Really didn't want to put to sleep any wild yeast, only to have them wake up in my bottles later on haha.

I thought about taking a photo mikec but just didn't want risk taking the lid off yet again, and it doesn't really show up through the lid.

Back