Foam From My 50l Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
I got a 50L keg full of Boh pil's lager been in there for about a month carbing at 75KPA. Im dispensing out of a gun that is in the fridge with 3.5M of beer line and 0.5M of line from gas bottle to keg coupler. The gas bottle is also in the fridge and I have a non return valve on the gas line going to the A-type keg coupler.
The thing is it's been running fine for a week then all of a sudden it poor's just foam for 2 seconds then normal then foam so im ending up with a half glass of foam.
I tried poring more than a glass and it comes good with no foam which leads me to believe it's not overcarbed. Maybe iv'e got a leak although iv'e tested for leaks with soapy water and nothing. I pulled everything apart and checked all the connectors and coupler as well as o-ring on the keg but all seemed ok.
Anyone have this happen with the 50L kegs?

IMG_0555.jpg

mmm, 3.5 mtrs seems too long for 75kpa ? what temp are you running at ?

try to pump up to 120 and give that a shot or down to 25 ?

mmm, 3.5 mtrs seems too long for 75kpa ? what temp are you running at ?

try to pump up to 120 and give that a shot or down to 25 ?

Really, never would never have guessed it could foam from too lower pressure

i'll try mate. I run all my 20L kegs the same way. The beer is around 3 degrees

I got a 50L keg full of Boh pil's lager been in there for about a month carbing at 75KPA. Im dispensing out of a gun that is in the fridge with 3.5M of beer line and 0.5M of line from gas bottle to keg coupler. The gas bottle is also in the fridge and I have a non return valve on the gas line going to the A-type keg coupler.
The thing is it's been running fine for a week then all of a sudden it poor's just foam for 2 seconds then normal then foam so im ending up with a half glass of foam.
I tried poring more than a glass and it comes good with no foam which leads me to believe it's not overcarbed. Maybe iv'e got a leak although iv'e tested for leaks with soapy water and nothing. I pulled everything apart and checked all the connectors and coupler as well as o-ring on the keg but all seemed ok.
Anyone have this happen with the 50L kegs?

Without knowing the diameter of the beer line the length is not something I can use. But since after the first half a glass it is ok I don't think it is the issue.

Looking at the pic, I'm taking a guess you may be sucking air back into the line from the gun. Just looks that way in the pic. Do you use the same gun for all the kegs?

edit: added pic.. maybe also sucking air back at the beer line join.

IMG_0555__HDTV__1080__.jpg

Really, never would never have guessed it could foam from too lower pressure

If you have gassed up as a higher pressure, and then try serving at a lower pressure, then the CO2 can come out of solution prior to getting to the tap.

Without knowing the diameter of the beer line the length is not something I can use. But since after the first half a glass it is ok I don't think it is the issue.

Looking at the pic, I'm taking a guess you may be sucking air back into the line from the gun. Just looks that way in the pic. Do you use the same gun for all the kegs?

edit: added pic.. maybe also sucking air back at the beer line join.

View attachment 53106

Hey Kev, I just fixed the hose to the gun and took the connector out of the beer line so now I have about 2-3M of line on the beer out. I see what you mean with from the photo. I'll have to double check the seal around the keg and maybe renew it but that's not a job for a friday night! I have a very nice wheaty on tap so i'll get stuck into that. Thanks for the help mate

looks like co2 coming out of solution in the lines, need more pressure or shorter beer line

if thats 5mm line ~2.6m with the keg at 2 - 3c and 100kpa on the reg should balance at about 2.6 volumes and pour well

looks like co2 coming out of solution in the lines, need more pressure or shorter beer line

if thats 5mm line ~2.6m with the keg at 2 - 3c and 100kpa on the reg should balance at about 2.6 volumes and pour well

Thats about what i have so ill bump it up to 100kpa see how she goes. Never had this problem but I have only been using this setup with the 50L keg for 2 brews.
Cheers mate

Back