Fly Vs Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
poll.png

vlbaby said:
Duh? Please explain!
[post="84837"][/post]​
I ran a poll on a US board (we could run the same one here and add the results together I guess) asking about mash efficiency.

The results above are summaries after 73 people "voted". Fly spargers do better on average, but both batch and fly sparges can achieve high efficiencies.

It seems the most common range is 75-80% remembering that the poll asked people to vote only after their brewhouse had settled into some consistency.

When brewers first start mashing it can take a few goes to get a good handle on your equipment (brewing equipment that is).

would be good to see the results from the AHB'er. Could ya run the same poll here sosman?

Cheers

sluggerdog said:
would be good to see the results from the AHB'er. Could ya run the same poll here sosman?
[post="84843"][/post]​
I just tried to but AHB is limited to 10 questions, the poll has 18.

Just outline the options in the first post and get people to answer in the message body. I'd be interested to see the results from here, too.

Kai said:
Just outline the options in the first post and get people to answer in the message body. I'd be interested to see the results from here, too.
[post="84850"][/post]​
Oh yeah, I can just see myself, scratching through the replies to see who voted what.

I'm sure if enough mods read this they might consider upping the poll size to 20 - its not like we have millions of polls or anything.

Can you put it on brewiki then put a link here?

That works even better, it gets around the fact that people can't vote more than once in a poll.

Alrighty then, the top plots were from brewboard. Here are the AHB results:
sparge-ahb.png

And the combined results:
sparge-all.png

Thanks to everyone who took part in the poll.

OMG sosman !

I've worked with very efficient people like you , you have to be an engineer

Batz

great stuff sos.
so what should i do?
batch or fly?

im confused :rolleyes: :unsure:

big d
btw i batch

I batch sparge and have never fly sparged. I would be interested to hear about fly v's batch beer flavour comparisons. Ive heard that batch gives a better quality beer but loses a little efficency. (backed up by your results) I run low to mid efficency but get good results in flavour.

Looking forward to other view points,

Mudsta :beerbang:

Good stuff sosman :beerbang:

Just want to make sure I am reading the mash efficiency plot correctly, the box is 1 SD, the outer limits 2 SD and the thick line the mean? Are the dots outliers?

I hated stats in uni :angry:

big d said:
great stuff sos.
so what should i do?
batch or fly?

im confused :rolleyes: :unsure:
[post="85205"][/post]​
Big D - don't switch from what you are doing if it works for you. I batch and don't plan to fly. My brewday goes very smoothly (unless I drink too much and hook up my CFC the wrong way round :blink: ).

mudsta said:
I batch sparge and have never fly sparged. I would be interested to hear about fly v's batch beer flavour comparisons. Ive heard that batch gives a better quality beer but loses a little efficency. (backed up by your results) I run low to mid efficency but get good results in flavour.

Looking forward to other view points,

Mudsta :beerbang:
[post="85221"][/post]​

The ultimate for "clean" flavour is true no sparge -- that is the true first runnings from the tun and then topped up in the kettle with water to the boil volume. Efficiency can be as low as 38% and hard to calculate over different beers.

Geoffery Donovan the Promash authour did a piece on this subject. And no i don't have a link but I do hear that Google is a reasonable search engine. :)

Steve

Slightly uneconomical way to make beer though. That said the malt flavours would be very clean indeed. I guess you could also sparge the remants for a "small beer" or keep them for future starters. :beerbang:

I follow a similar philosophy at the expense of a dollar or two of grain. With paler beers I stop the sparge at between 1.025-1.030 and for darker beers about 1.020-1.025.

Refractometers make this practice a piece of piss so to speak. :super:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back