Fly sparging.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Hi guys.
This might seem like a stupid question but what are the main reasons for fly sparging over batch sparing? Is it mainly to reduce channelling in the grain bed and therefore improve efficiency? I'm in the process of building a 3v to switch for partials to all grain. I've just about finished my HLT just a couple of electrics to finish. And my minds switching to my mash tun and stand. Im considering weather to build a gravity fed or by a couple of Kaixin pumps and build a flat stand.
Don't know how easy/difficult it is to reduce flow on pumps as I've only used gravity till now. Have been reading lots and it seems that controlling flows on the out put of the pumps seems to work ok?

At the moment I kind of do a bit of both. After settling my grain bed and clearing my wort I drain my lantur tun into my kettle. I then fill my sparge bucket back up with sparge water give it a good mix and resettle the bed. Then whatever is left of my sparge water I slowly add through a collider at a similar rate as in draining.

Don't know if this is te correct method but its been working ok for a while now.

Any advice most most welcome.
Thanks Rob

Two totally different methods of mashing Rob, and books can be written on both, I would suggest you do some research.

cheers

Browndog

No such thing as a stupid question.

Fly sparging is a little more efficient in that it leads to a slightly higher recovery of fermentables in most cases. Gear setup costs aren't necessarily high and so it's a popular way to sparge. If you've got a ball valve between your mash tun and the pump, you can use the ball valve to restrict the flow for a few minutes so there's a reduced "suction" created by the pump below. This will lead to less issues with grain bed compaction and stuck sparges.

If you've stirred up the grain bed, run the wort back through to filter for a few minutes on a low flow to clarify the runnings again.
Hope this helps.

Martin

HBHB said:
If you've stirred up the grain bed, run the wort back through to filter for a few minutes on a low flow to clarify the runnings again. Hope this helps. Martin
I have found this the main advantage in fly sparging. So, if you are batch sparging you really should be recirculating after each time you you re-fill the MT, usually twice depending on you rig...

Before I had a pump, I use to recirculate with a jug, as in, drain MT to fill jug then gently pour back in to MT, REPEAT - a few tens times...

With a pump it was a little easier and save my arm muscles but still, you are repeating the recirculation every time you re-fill your tun..

FLY sparging, it is about setting up the flow and letting it all happen, so to speak.

FWIW - I vote sparge.

As for controlling pump output, its too easy with a ball valve.

Gravity your HLT and pump to your kettle.

2c.

Cheers.

It seems to be one of those self-repeating truths that fly sparging mostly gives better efficiency than batch sparging.
Has anyone ever done side by side tests with identical mashes and set ups to prove or disprove this? If so, please post the link.

For me, batch sparging is easy as. Top up mash tun with a mashout, stir, vorlauf 2 or 3 litres, and run off. Repeat with sparge water, and I'm done. Gives me mash efficiency of over 90% every time.

I just could't be bothered setting up a fly sparge system and matching inflow and out flow rates, worrying about channeling, measuring SG and stopping when it drops below a certain level.

Give me easy. You and others might like complicated or consider fly is easier than batch. If so, good luck to you.

warra48 said:
I just could't be bothered setting up a fly sparge system and matching inflow and out flow rates, measuring SG and stopping when it drops below a certain level.

Give me easy. You and others might like complicated or consider fly is easier than batch. If so, good luck to you.
I think it all comes down to Warra's comment above.

I've used both methods on my rig with the same recipe and found quite a difference in efficiency. However as my brewing process changed continually in an attempt to chase higher and higher efficiency, maltiness and mouthfeel dropped away in my beers. Now my brewing process has purposely changed to produce lower efficiency (75%) to arrive at a desired level of maltiness.

Still prefer to use the fly/continuous sparge method as it suits my brewing rig and I find it easier than batch. At the end of MO rest I begin to drain to the kettle (gravity) and start pumping to the HLT from the HLT with the pump out valve throttled back to match outflow. Only requires a glance into the top of the MLT after 15 min and maybe an adjustment to the valve, then two more checks at 15 min intervals. Don't have to bother stirring or recirculating, suits me.

Screwy

I batch sparge simply because that's how the brewer up here who taught me how to brew does it. I've never tried fly sparging as I don't have a tiered brew rig/ or 2 pumps. People who want to chase huge efficiency prefer fly sparing. I find the same as Screwy that too high an efficiency leads to a lesser beer, reminds me more of a commercial beer where they strip the guts out of the grain to save money on materials. Both work well, do what every you are happy doing.

QldKev

QldKev said:
reminds me more of a commercial beer where they strip the guts out of the grain to save money on materials

QldKev
Great explanation!

Haven't done another check on a comparison for quite some time but on a Smurto's Golden Ale batch a couple of years ago the difference was only about 2 gravity points on a 65 Litre batch.

Not exactly sheep stations.

Martin

Thanks a lot guys its put a few fears to bed. Think I will stick with batch sparging and gravity feed my HLT and maybe get a pump for my mash tun. I really like Warra's attitude of keeping it simple. Thanks again guys.
Cheers rob.

Latest posts

Back