Flow Control Beer Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfitz

Reaction score
Evening all,

I have just purchased a Flow control beer tap (fridge type).

After installation, it seems that it is only good for froth making.
I tried the brew with my gun and everything seems fine, but with the tap even wide open, half a glass of beer and half a glass of foam (you can even hear it whistling through the tap).

I suppose I should have asked here first (slow learner).

I dropped the serving presure to 40kpa, shortened the tube run, still no joy, am I wasting my time (got pretty pissed trying so not all lost).

Should I cut my losses or is there anything I could do?

Don't want to throw away $100, but will if it is a lost cause, so be it.

Looking for some suggestions I guess :)

Thanks

Fitz

What temp are the kegs sitting at?

What length and diameter are the beer lines?

Kegs are at approx. 5 deg C.
Length is now approx 1 meter, 6mm ID (was 2 meters), tap is about 400mm above keg.

Is this what you are after?

Fitz

You have to remember that the gun is cold inside the beer fridge while the tap is warm, so the question is, did you pour a few one after the other, not changing any settings.

I adjust mine by starting at the slowest and increasing flow till I start getting a bit of foam.

You have to remember that the gun is cold inside the beer fridge while the tap is warm, so the question is, did you pour a few one after the other, not changing any settings.

I adjust mine by starting at the slowest and increasing flow till I start getting a bit of foam.

I checked by feel and the tap was cold.

As I said, was heading towards pissed, yep tried a few and didn't seem to make much difference, beer was good though :)

I could hear it whistling through the tap, came out like a Guinness head, not all froth and bubbles but real tight head.

Fitz

When I designed my system I used this CHART to work out beer line length based on internal diameter. Based on the chart it looks like you could be a little short.

Reducing the temperature of your kegs to 2-3 degrees might also help to reduce foaming

Hope this helps

For standard carbonation you want around 4M of 5mm ID line for typical carbonation 80-100kpa.

How this is effected by flow control taps, I'm not the man to answer. Alli can think is forcing beer thru 1M at standard carb is too quick.

As also noted temp differential of tap doesn't help either.

He has flow control taps. The whole point of having them is so you don't need 4m of beer line coiled up in the fridge.

If you close the flow control right up, how long does out take to fill a glass?

also, how far below the tap its your glass?

I don't suppose there is a leak somewere letting air in near the tap?

I don't know if a leak will cause this or not, just a guess.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I may have a dud tap.
During a pour it sounds the same as with my gun that I dont open fully and get a glass of foam.
I upped the serving pressure to 100 KPA, not much faster pour but more foam.

I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

Thanks all.

Fill a keg with water and run that thro0ugh the tap.... If you are still hearing some sort of hissing sound then there may be an issue with the tap but if it pours nicely with no agitation then its likely to be beer related etc.

You may have just overcarbed your keg, even for the flow control taps... I force carbed a keg a few days ago and left it on too long and even on the lowest flow I still got half a glass of foam.... reduced the serving pressure, shook the keg and released the gas valve a few times to let some excess gas out of the beer then let it sit for a day and pours perfectly now :D

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.

I think I may have a dud tap.
During a pour it sounds the same as with my gun that I dont open fully and get a glass of foam.
I upped the serving pressure to 100 KPA, not much faster pour but more foam.

I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

Thanks all.

What brand / where did you get it from. I'm wondering if there is some poor casting in the tap causing the CO2 to come out of solution. Pull the tap aprt and have a look where the beer runs, it should be smooth.

QldKev

Also check your shank. One of my shanks has a flaw in the middle which causes foaming

He has flow control taps. The whole point of having them is so you don't need 4m of beer line coiled up in the fridge.

If you close the flow control right up, how long does out take to fill a glass?
What he said ^^

Assume that you wound it right back to the point that no beer came out when you tried to pour?

Get the pressure to 70 or whatever you drink at, then turn the flow control lever to the point that you get no beer coming out at all when you turn the tap on - then turn the flow control lever very slowly until you get some beer coming out. Should be simple from there...

Guys, (and girls I suppose),

Had a look at it today before beers, hooked up my gun, great pour and flow.

Tried again with the tap with the same result as before. I have to say even with the control all the open, flow is pretty poor even at 80KPA serving pressure.
I think this is the root of the problem, as I said at 80kpa and 1 meter of 6mm hose it still takes 15+ seconds to fill a pot (even with foam).

Even if I blow through it (breath) it seems there is not much flow. I think if the flow was better, the problems would be less.

I cant try a water only test as I dont have a spare keg to try it with until I empty one.

I bought the tap from "MyBeerShop.com.au", generally they are pretty good with fast delivery etc. and I have no complaints to date.

I dont believe the beer is over-carbed as it pours fine via the gun and if I hook up my other keg to the tap I get the same result.

Thanks to all.

As Kev asked what brand of tap do you have?

Does your adjustment move easily and are far as you would expect? Remove the tap from the shank and see if you have more movement on the lever.

The reason I ask is because as you open the flow control the inside of the tap opens and moves towards the shank, if it fouls on the shank you are gaining nothing ie: it's not opening. I hope I've made this clear, remove the tap and try it you'll see what I'm on about.
I have seen a tap that could not be adjusted because of the shank.

Batz

Are you sure you have it fully open and not fully closed? 15 seconds for a pot seems extremely slow with only 1m of 6mm ID line - with such a short line it should be pouring that in a second or two since there isn't anything holding it back.

Also - how does your pouring method compare between the gun and the tap? With the gun, i imagine you are pouring onto the side of the glass? With the tap - are you holding the glass close to the tap and tilting the glass or just sitting it on a drip tray underneath?

post-14364-1319627336_thumb.jpg

is it one like this ?

have a play with the screw on the front a little (near that little spring)

also the bit that the control lever slots into and goes into the side of the tap may be upside down. (rotate it 180 deg)
i would pull it apart and put it back together to see if it fixes it...

Back