Flour Mill For Crushing Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And he can buy whatever mill he wants.

LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE WINS!

[EDIT: typo]

If you've got a spare $5mill for a pressure/membrane plate filter setup you can use flour for your grain and get nearly 100% efficiency. I toured Coopers last week and they crush to a flour and then mash in a continually stirred tun before forcing it though a series of membranes at high pressure to filter it. Fully automated and apparently over 99% efficiency once some sparge water is forced through afterwards. Definitely worth a look if you're ever down Adelaide way. Quite a few tastings afterwards which didn't go astray either. :chug:

If you've got a spare $5mill for a pressure/membrane plate filter setup you can use flour for your grain and get nearly 100% efficiency. I toured Coopers last week and they crush to a flour and then mash in a continually stirred tun before forcing it though a series of membranes at high pressure to filter it. Fully automated and apparently over 99% efficiency once some sparge water is forced through afterwards. Definitely worth a look if you're ever down Adelaide way. Quite a few tastings afterwards which didn't go astray either. :chug:

Now that would be an awesome tour, did you get any photos?

Now that would be an awesome tout, did you get any photos?
Sorry mate, my phone is closely related to a brick so no camera. My mates might have got some so I'll check.
The tour guide was pretty cluey, but didn't drop too many things that we hadn't heard about here.
Quick off topic summary - Basically they use POR in all beers at 60mins for bittering to leave no residual flavour. Pale ale recipe is pretty close to yours with no extra hops and relying on the yeast/ferment temp for flavour. Vintage varies in hopping profile every year (can't remember this years sorry), Celebration Ale is probably going to continue, Dr Tim's is pale ale in a can and is actually carbonated in the can, and that's about all I can remember. $22 for the tour with all to charity and you get a glass and tasting of 11 beers from memory. A good day out before my mates wedding.

Ok the old mans mill arrived, ducked over today and ran some grain through, all i had on hand was carapils so chucked in a handful and set it to its coarsest setting. Blasted it out a second later:

graincrush.jpg

graincrush2.jpg

Looks pretty good to me? Certainly not flour. Opinions?

Also tried some freshly baked, freshly milled sourdough from his woodfired oven. :icon_drool2:

Ok the old mans mill arrived, ducked over today and ran some grain through, all i had on hand was carapils so chucked in a handful and set it to its coarsest setting. Blasted it out a second later:

Also tried some freshly baked, freshly milled sourdough from his woodfired oven. :icon_drool2:

Doesn't look bad. Have you tried lightly dampening the grain and leaving for 10 minutes before milling. Just use a trigger spray bottle and only very lightly dampen. It should keep the husks from breaking up as much.

<<pic snip>>

Had to tell 100% from the pics, maybe a bit more of a close up would help. But from what I see the husks are generally left in great condition, and nearly all seen to have been opened, all without creating too much flour. I would say it's an excellent crush.

QldKev

I only took photos on my phone so not the best, heres the clearest closeup i have:

graincrush4.jpg

Knocking out a extract + spec grains brew in a few days to tide me over till my new ag rig is ready. Will see how it goes with that before I do a full ag batch.

I only took photos on my phone so not the best, heres the clearest closeup i have:

View attachment 58274

Knocking out a extract + spec grains brew in a few days to tide me over till my new ag rig is ready. Will see how it goes with that before I do a full ag batch.

Yep, definitely an awesome mill. If you go 3V that's a perfect crush. For BIAB you could crush it a bit finer.

QldKev

Yep, definitely an awesome mill. If you go 3V that's a perfect crush. For BIAB you could crush it a bit finer.
Not having a dig as I think that crush is certainly good enough and maybe even a better example of the "classic" crush than most (what with the popularity of the old coffee-grinder and all) but surely there's far too many empty husks there to consider that "perfect"?

Not having a dig as I think that crush is certainly good enough and maybe even a better example of the "classic" crush than most (what with the popularity of the old coffee-grinder and all) but surely there's far too many empty husks there to consider that "perfect"?

I'm open for debate. :p

I think it is up on the rankings as most husks are still fairly intact enough to create a nice open course mash bed. I don't mind the husks are empty as there is a lot of nice chunky bits and not just a heap of flour.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back