flooded font & beer cooling..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warb

Reaction score
looking to get my setup back up and running, however want to keep it compact as possible.. can I stand a keg room temp and run it through a flooded font that's kept ice cold with glycol pumped through a small bar freezer?, how will the beer react? think it'll be cold enough?.. one below is what I was thinking of using.

Screenshot_2015-07-19-19-58-40.png

mod now hey, people trust you i see!.. :D .. so run the beer through that 1st?.. fridge or freezer?, i assume freezer no good (freeze beer), so can stash that in a bar fridge?. however will the beer go flat in the lines?.

yeah mod here admin on avd.
you should get out from under your rock more often.
I've never used one apart from as a jockey box. turn the fridge right down and it should be enough.

My guess is you will need to run co2 pressure higher than a chilled keg. You would need to use a calculator to work out what pressure gives you your 2.5 volumes of pressure or whatever you like to run for the room temperature of your keg. Also, I think hoppy beer styles will degrade in hoppyness quicker. Any slight infections etc would also progress faster. Although I think what you want to do is doable,I think you expose yourself to those things I've mentioned above more so than a chilled keg.

My first font was just like that one and I used the fridge to store the keg cold and had the font mounted on the top on the fridge, used a whole saw drilled at the back middle and held it in with the nut inside the fridge. The co2 was outside the fridge with the line running through the side.

cheers lads, the more I think about it the more ill keep the keg in a fridge, the outdoor area I want to set this up backs up to my garage, so may just put a full size fridge in there and run through the walls, etc..

Back