Floaty Bits?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergiej

Reaction score
Help,

I just checked out my Coopers Pale Ale that I bottled two weeks ago and it has white floaty bits in the neck of the bottle. Its not a milky film so I don't think its micro-derm infection. I opened one bottle and although not fully carbonated tasted ok (just a little green).

If it continues to taste Ok I will drink but I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and if so what is it?

Did you carbonate with dried malt extract?

No, dextrose for this brew, I normally use coopers carbonation drops.

Hmm. No idea then, sorry. When I've primed with dried malt extract (without boiling it first) i've ended up with a protein ring. Thought that might be what you were getting. But i'm not sure with dextrose. Soz.

i've had brown floaty bits before, (by not washing a couple of my bottles properly) are the floaty bits hard? soft? or what?

Hi FergieJ
I am just starting to try my Grumpy's Marston's Pedigree (in the bottle 3 months), and I'm seeing a similar thing.

The beer has come up crystal clear in the bottle (I racked at day 4 and left for 17 days in secondary), except for near the neck of the bottle where the neck starts getting thinner. about an inch or two below the level of the beer, there is a collection on "blobs" about the size of pin heads.

I've found that leaving the bottles in the fridge for a good 4-5 days before drinking them makes the "blobs" disappear. I chalked it up to using an Ale yeast and it actually doing it's work at the top of the beer, and some of it is getting stuck on the glass sides. Chilling in the fridge then causes the yeast to drop out of suspension.

As I've stated before I don't really know what I'm talking about..... But the beer tastes great so I figure it didn't really matter what reason I came up with ! :p

Indy,

They dissolved when I poured it so I would say thay are soft. I am begining to think it is some type of sugar residue or yeast residue (see boots comments).

Boots,

This is the first time I racked to a secondary, so the beer was cyrstal clear except for the white floaty bits.

well,

After another week or so conditioning the floaty bits have disappeared or settled out. I think it must be yeast residue only.

Had me worried though :D

:) good to hear (read...) got me stumped.... i guess yeast stuff, yeah :unsure:

hey all, did the same brew with carb drops and same thing after two weeks. heres hoping mines not an infection

Hey Barra, and welcome.

Don't fret bud, it will be yeast...... It will drop!

Have you stored your bottles at around 20 deg. for the 2 weeks?

If so, throw one in the fridge, chill and poor it! You will know if its infected but I think you will find it will be pretty clear compared to looking into the bottle at room temp. ;)

Best of luck!

Hey Barra, and welcome.

Don't fret bud, it will be yeast...... It will drop!

Have you stored your bottles at around 20 deg. for the 2 weeks?

If so, throw one in the fridge, chill and poor it! You will know if its infected but I think you will find it will be pretty clear compared to looking into the bottle at room temp. ;)

Best of luck!

I had dramas with using too much bleach when cleaning the bottles.. the glass ones came out awesome.. the plastic bottles have a film ring around the top and a white milky cloud which floats around in the beer until chilled.. I dunno it doesnt taste too bad.. no terrible taste...

brewed at 20
bottled at 20 and maintained?

I had dramas with using too much bleach when cleaning the bottles.. the glass ones came out awesome.. the plastic bottles have a film ring around the top and a white milky cloud which floats around in the beer until chilled.. I dunno it doesnt taste too bad.. no terrible taste...

Sounds like an infection to me....I seem to recall simialr symptoms in a recent thread, and the general concensus was infection...either acetobacter or pediobacter from memory......could be wrong, though. Infections aren't my strong suit.

Back