Flavour issue Pacific Ale clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess lots of good info here and anyone or maybe something else could be the cause. Both recipes are very light bodied, and before fermentation will have a pronounced bitterness.

Particularly for the Galaxy bittered version. This version, like the commercial example in my opinion has a bite from the Galaxy bittering that I don't like. It will fade during fermentation to a point most drinkers don't mind it or in fact don't notice it. This was the reason I created a new version bittered with Magnum.

The Magnum bittered version. The bittering is super clean and smooth. The hop aroma and taste is fresh, vibrant and very fruit punch like. The only thing I have ever noticed with this version is when the boil is less than 90 minutes the Weyermann premium Pils does not seem to have been completely cleaned up of the associated undesirable malt aromas. A 90 minute boil does the trick and is how the recipe is designed, with bittering additions at 60 min, check that also.

But having said this, these are my notes after brewing both many times, and I have to say in both recipes the affects are very subtle, they are really points of fine tuning.

For some weird reason i didnt see your verion on brewbuilder....i used the pure galaxy vers....After reading your post I had a look and found it...will give it a go in the future..thanks Steve

You've all influenced my thoughts. My thinking for something powerful like Galaxy is in like flame out and dry hop.
Lets face it. Its powerful. As are many hops and i cant help but think that if your throwing in additions like 6 grams per liter is a waste!
There must be a better way. :confused:

I thought that was you...best 2 days in melbourne ever...still have the t-shirt.
Glad you enjoyed it. My shirt is well worn but likewise remains. Was hard work (shared by a couple of now super good friends) but well worth it.

OT but I'm hoping to get to Stockholm in Nov for a CMI anniversary event (despite mortiis being on the bill, the lineup generally looks great).

Happy ambient industrial, my friend.

You've all influenced my thoughts. My thinking for something powerful like Galaxy is in like flame out and dry hop.
Lets face it. Its powerful. As are many hops and i cant help but think that if your throwing in additions like 6 grams per liter is a waste!
There must be a better way. :confused:
The beer is very delicate, it doesn't need a heap of Galaxy.
The Brewman version, it is at the top of the Brewman recipes has the galaxy hops into the whirlpool at 0.93g/L and dry hopped at 1.06g/L. And at that rate it is hoppier than the commercial version. The bittering is via Magnum to 6.6IBU at 60 mins. The whirlpool hops add the rest up to what I am expecting total IBU 17.
Anyway you get the idea, check it out on Brewbuilder if you like.

Cheers Steve

Ive only briefly skipped thru this thread, but i did see someone mention chlorine/tap water issues.
I moved to a town with shitty pool water/tap water a few years back and it made my beers taste terrible.
Get a water filter off ebay. Just a simple carbon filter with hose connections should cost ya 15-20$.
Second thought would be galaxy overdose (also saw that get a mention)

I brew pacific ale inspired beers all the time and its my go-to-staple-brew style.
My favourite versions of this kind of beer dont use ANY hope in the boil and only use additions at flame out and dry-hopped affter ferment

Correction- no HOPS in the boil.... but plenty of hope

Ive definitely ruined this beer a few times by adding too much ggalxy in the boil and the bitterness can be a bit coat-your-toungue-with-chemical kinda tasting

The beer is very delicate, it doesn't need a heap of Galaxy.
The Brewman version, it is at the top of the Brewman recipes has the galaxy hops into the whirlpool at 0.93g/L and dry hopped at 1.06g/L. And at that rate it is hoppier than the commercial version. The bittering is via Magnum to 6.6IBU at 60 mins. The whirlpool hops add the rest up to what I am expecting total IBU 17.
Anyway you get the idea, check it out on Brewbuilder if you like.

Cheers Steve

Hey Steve, I'm planning a S&W clone this weekend and keen to try out your recipe as the last version I did came out way too bitter, (just with galaxy in the cube for bittering, and galaxy dry).

I can't locate your recipe in the database, or even find the brewbuilder app.... how long do you allow your whirlpool hops to stand (and how much do you put in there)?

Cheers, Matt

Hey Steve, I'm planning a S&W clone this weekend and keen to try out your recipe as the last version I did came out way too bitter, (just with galaxy in the cube for bittering, and galaxy dry).

I can't locate your recipe in the database, or even find the brewbuilder app.... how long do you allow your whirlpool hops to stand (and how much do you put in there)?

Cheers, Matt
You need to apply for brewbuilder and I open you account, if you don't already have a log in.

Once your in there it is one of the first few recipes.

Hops stand in whirlpool for 10 minutes and just a bit over a gram per litre.

Cheers

FWIW I did a S&W Pacific Ale clone to cater a party recently using 2:1 Pale:Wheat malt, with the only hop addition being 2g/L of Galaxy into cubes before pool-chilling. Appearance, aroma and flavour quite similar to Pacific Ale, although mine was slightly more bitter and resinous - luckily plenty of hop-heads at the party who were unperturbed :)

Some extra hops and bitterness makes the beer more appealing to some, like anything.

I am working on a Raspberry version.

Drinking a Pacific right now. I used 5g Galaxy FWH, followed by 30g late in the boil and 40g dry hop.

It's a lot hoppier than the original, but I prefer it.

OP, trying to detect off flavours pre ferment is a tough call. So much changes during fermentation that I really think it isn't worth looking too much into it. Unfermented wort is very sweet and very bitter in my experience. Could be anything, have you brewed with wheat before? It has a funny taste to me. Have you used Galaxy? It has a powerful and distinctive flavour.

I doubt its got anything to do with water, that would more come through as fermentation faults (like chlorine/chlorophenals).

Here is my recipe

Pacific Ale_2Aug 2017.png

Drinking a Pacific right now. I used 5g Galaxy FWH, followed by 30g late in the boil and 40g dry hop.

It's a lot hoppier than the original, but I prefer it.

OP, trying to detect off flavours pre ferment is a tough call. So much changes during fermentation that I really think it isn't worth looking too much into it. Unfermented wort is very sweet and very bitter in my experience. Could be anything, have you brewed with wheat before? It has a funny taste to me. Have you used Galaxy? It has a powerful and distinctive flavour.

I doubt its got anything to do with water, that would more come through as fermentation faults (like chlorine/chlorophenals).

Have tried to find out, but what is FWH?

Cheers
Shadime

I was talking to an ex S&W brewer a few months ago, and he says the latest version is 25 IBU, uses 60/40 pils and wheat and it's definitely fermented with US05
There's two recipes on Brewbuilder, the other one is closer to, well at one time was the actual recipe, the recipe used by the brewery.

Latest posts

Back