Flatulence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Black

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Some help needed. Since I've been drinking my first home brew I've been farting like a draught horse and it smells like something has crawled in my arse and died. Mum has had enough. She reckons I need to see the doc. Is these anything I can do to sort this out?

Cheers

Stop drinking the yeast sediment, Leave it in the bottle undisturbed when pouring.

Try a cork. You could even rig up a strap with some wire or something if it keeps coming out.

cork.JPG

Next time you float one, get in first, and yell out "aw, mum, how could you, that's disgusting".
Or blame the dog or cat.

Agree though. Settle your bottles upright for a couple of days in the fridge, and pour carefully into a glass leaving the yeast etc residue behind.

There is also the chance that it isn't the beer. I'm not sure that live beer will cause this unless you lack in gut bacteria maybe and its your gut responding to the new situation maybe. Its common in modern diet that people lack in gut bacteria so if/when you do eat live culture food it can have a reaction. I eat more live culture food now than in the past and I used to have a lot more flatulence in the past. Better gut health = less flatulence in my experience. Although Sauerkraut for eg. if you do fart it will be pretty ripe and aromatic and challenging for anyone who follows your turn in the toilet.

+1 for gut health.
If I don't filter my brews or go hard on Coopers or Little Creatures Pale I get similar effects, however I know I have other gut issues going on and the yeast throws everything into overdrive. Any fermented food will introduce the good fellas into your gut and reduce the effects the yeast can create.
kefir
kombucha
kim-chi
sauerkraut
miso
yoghurt

Is your diet high in carbohydrates? That includes beer unfortunately. Yeast overgrowth could be due to persistent high glucose levels. If you wanted to ,fast for 10 hrs and get a glucose level done at a pharmacy(that offers it ) fisrt thing in the morning to exclude diabetes.

in true Reinheitsgebot fashion!

if you are interested, those butt crackers will be your gastro intestinal system breaking down those sugar chains the yeast couldn't resulting in plenty of scent symphonies .

take this away from it, the more
unfermented sugars / more complex the beer the more likely you're likely to non-violently assault your loved ones.

options are
buy a dog.
make simpler / more refined beers.

just commented on a fart thread i think i have unlocked all achievements.

Back