Flat Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verynewtohomebrew

Reaction score
Hello all

Im a little worried about my recent brew. I bottled 3 weeks ago with a SG of 1010 with dextrose into bottles.

I used a measuring thingo and put in one teaspoon into each bottle just as I normally do but the beer is flat

When the bottle is opened there is a tiny bit of gas escaping but not much at all it sounds a bit like a fly farting!

Do you think there could be something wrong with the beer - maybe an infection of some sort

The beer does taste good tho flat but nice, Im wondering whether I should leave it bottled or pour it down the sink to free up some bottles and put down another batch

Well any helps appreciated

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

Mike

*EDIT - The beers I tasted were accidently put in the fridge a few days after bottling could that have stopped them carbonating???

If it tasted nice it's not infected give it somemore time , it's not to cold where you are storing it ?
Hard for someone like me to imagiane that ??? Cold ?/? What's that ?

take your bottles out of the fridge and carbonate at room temperature.that should do the trick in about 2 weeks minimum.

But will the cold have killed the yeast??

I only have a few in the fridge so ill take them out and try and dig out the ones that were stored in the cellar/shed and wack one or two in the fridge and see how they go

Thanks guys

Doh!
Reread the post after big d repleied ,
Yep a fridge could be cold :huh: :p

But won't kill the yeast , takem out they'll be OK

VNTHB- As they guys say, yeast goes slower in a fridge, but it wakes up again when warmed up no worries, so if the bottles are at room temp for a couple of weeks they will come good. One minor possibility though, is that while in the fridge the yeast fell to the bottom of the bottle and got all stuck together. If well and truly stuck they wont be able to get going when you warm the bottles up. So what I would definitely do is
a)shake each bottle to resuspend any sediment into the beer (seems odd but it settles again) I shake all my bottles 3 days after capping.
B) store at room temp 2 to 3 weeks
c) drink and enjoy.

OK I found the bottles in the shed that didnt get put in the fridge and they have been bottled for over 3 weeks

And they are flat as well not as flat as the fridged ones but still very very flat

There are bubbles in the beer but they arnt big bubbles if you know what i mean!

The shed is a very helpful shed as it keeps the beers at a fairly steady 20deg C which I thought was fairly good it is also nice and dark - should be the perfect environment.

Do you think the dextrose could be a problem??

And Guest Lurker I also shake my bottles after a few days and these bottles definatly got a shake as they have been marked to indicate that.

Hmm I dont know got me stumped maybe next time will just use sugar as i previously have - but ive noticed that there is far less sediment than I usually get

Also this was racked for 14 days - Could I have killed all the yeast when I racked - Ah I dont know just taking stabs now!!

VNTHB

don't give up yet... leave em for another 2 weeks.. they will carbonate eventually...

did you secondary the beer? for how long?

A secondary of just 14 days would not have settled out all the yeast--my lager was in secondary 4 months and there was still active yeast in suspension!

Your bottles didn't get very hot at some stage? Hot enough to kill the yeast?

Sugar is easier to pour into the bottles but dextrose works just fine as priming sugar (though I prefer dme)

Jovial Monk

I racked the beer into secondary but they only got two weeks as I had to go away and had no idea how long Id be so thought safer to get them in some bottles than to leave it sitting around for someone to knock over or take the lid off or dog start drinking it etc etc

The bottles get no hotter than 22 deg c so I cant see that the yeast could have been harmed

I will leave them, its just that by this stage (3 weeks) with sugar I can usually taste my beer and it pours a head and maintains sure the beer is no where near what it could be but I usually get a feel for its taste.

Back