Flat beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Pete

Reaction score
Hi all

Have done two Coopers kits thus far (just started home brewing). Carbonation did not really work on the first. The second has been bottled now fr 4 weeks or so in Pet bottles. I used two drops per 750ml bottle. Opened a bottle last night. It has a good head and taste was okay. Problem was it is still flat. Am I likely to see any improvement over time or should I rinse out the bottles and start again?

Was think of using sugar next time as this worked well with my ginger beer.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I plan to continue home brewing.

Peter

What temperature have the bottles been at?
By flat do you mean not fizzy at all or just not as fizzy as you would like?

Leave them. Let them do their thing. 4 weeks is not really enough.

The biggest mistake new brewers make is not leting their beers sit long enough.

Coopers have a minimum time of 6 weeks carb time time before they release their beers ( kegs & bottles ) from the brewery.

Did you have your caps done up tight? Maybe not a good seal. Depends on your location you may have to leave them longer in cold climate.

Also depends on how much residual yeast is carried over during bottling process. Can take a lot longer if the beer is very clear before racking which can be for many reasons. It should get there eventually.

You can also tip them up and give them a twirl.
Patience is your friend though.

Rich

I find most PET bottles also have a small plastic collar around the neck that can restrict how tight they can be twisted, I've cut all of them off my bottles as I found that to leave my beer under-carbed.

I missed that on the Coopers instructions. Good point though and I will try that. Bottles have started to harden up over the past week. Will try one tomorrow and give feedback

Thanks for all the above suggestions.

Peter

I always give them a shake around week 2-3 just to rouse up the yeast back into suspension if the temp is a bit low during the evenings. Although I do bulk prime the carb drops as essentially exactly the same thing

Back