Quantcast

Flat Beer

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

hellbent

Reaction score
have made about 10 batches of various kit brews and have had troubs with flat beer ..... all bar one (half & half) were flat..... I had used dextrose in all bar one with liquid malt........all were primed with sugar.....but all had been brewing for up to 20 days with most 14 or so....is that too long? temp was about 22 - 26
any clues???
oh and coopers brew booster#20 is that ok in a lager as dextrose?
thanks Alan

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery
Reaction score
How did you prime them?
How much sugar?
What temp have you stored them at?
Do you know what the SG was when you bottled?

kman

Reaction score
do you mean the were absolutly flat? or just not as carbonated as beer you buy?

G

I used sugar 1 tspn for some and dextrose for others..... sg readings were high I will get some details and post it here next time Im down in shed.........
thanks

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
Alan,

Couple of reasons that would be causing this;

1) Fermentation temps too low (you said your brews had high FGs???) trying fermenting warmer and storing your bottles warmer for 1-2 weeks

2) Trying bottles too early? Unlikely but give them at least 2-4 weeks before sampling

3) Your capper?? Are the caps sealing correctly? Never hurts to invest in a good lever-style bench capper. Chuck away that crappy two-levered one (That's if Coopers still include them in their starter kits)

Warren -

dreamboat

Fantasy Brewer
Reaction score
Definately sounds lake a capping issue to me.
even if you typically drink your beer too fresh, and store it too cold, you will notice some improvement in the carbonation as the beer ages as you drink the batch.

Unless of course, you tend to drink your batch within a week of two, which gives no real time for an increase in carbonation.

A bench capper is definately a must, and you don't have to be shy with giving the lever a good tug (that will come back to haunt me) to get the flared edges of the cap down square.

Latest posts