Flat Beer Near End Of Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Browne

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just about reached the end of my first keg and the beer has next to no carbonation but pours at the same rate as always.
I'd appreciate any advice!

Cheers Matt

mine gets more carbonated at the end. Also 4 weeks for a keg?? WOW I do drink alot lol

Turn the gas off overnight when you go to bed and see if there's any pressure in the keg in the morning. No pressure = leak.
I don't like to leave the gas turned on unless I am certain there are no leaks in the system.

4 weeks for a keg? You must be running some big arse kegs.....

At the moment, I have no faith in my gas connects so once the keg is carbonated, I turn the Gas and reg off, and take off the gas disconnect. I only then give it a blast of gas when the beer is trickling out, and then everything is turned off again, and the disconnects are off.

I have heard of too many people loosing a whole tank of CO2 by leaving everything on, and find out that there is a leak the hard way.

My wife and I can kill a keg in a week.
I need to make sure there are 2 keg in the fridge running to give me time to brew.

Before home brewing, I would knock off a case in 3 weeks. I was never a big drinker.
That all changed once I had a keg in the fridge. Good times

If you check it all and don't find any leaks (i'm assuming you won't since your gas bottle isn't empty) then it comes down to your serving pressure being too low for the carb level you want.

What pressure are you serving at, and how are you carbing your kegs?

Alot of people seem to jump in and force carb their kegs before they get their system balanced. This results in the keg being good to start with, and then under (or over) carbed after a couple of weeks.

It must have something to do with you disconnecting every night. If its carbed at one pressure but you always let it drop pressure then your beer will loose carb as your head space is lower than should be so beer will release gas to equal out. Need to keep certain pressure on the beer to keep it gassed. And when you let the pressure drop till it nearly stops pouring again, this will take a lot longer when the key is nearly empty so the beer has a lot longer to degas when it's low. If that makes sense. That's my guess. Chris

To check mine for leaks I have a spray bottle full of soapy water and spray everything and you will see bubbles if it's leaking. It cant really get into your beer so I soak everything. It's how I found the actuall gas bottle was leaking around the neck

My system is pretty well balanced and the gas stays on all the time and I too find the last couple of glasses appear to lack bubbles. I don't think its actually flat, just looks that way. A keg lasts me 2 weeks.

No idea why!

Back