Flameout Additions- Hopsock Or Loose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
When adding my flameout addition I was going to wait until my wort drops to around 90C, then add the hops for 10 mins, then whirlpool, wait another 10 mins, then transfer to the ferm via the plate chiller.

But...Not sure if I should add my hops in a sock and pull them out before whirlpool or just throw them in loose.

What do you guys do?

Leaf? Pellet? Plug?

What is your pickup tube arranged like?

Why wait till 90C? Hops still isomerise at that temp, drop lower or chuck flameout hops @ flameout. Literally.

Pellets.

Using an urn for my kettle and draining through the standard outlet via ball valve.

I chose waiting until it drops to 90C as I had read another post where they also do this.

Mate, I'm not sure how concerned you are about getting truckloads of hop debris through your chiller, but if that's why you're asking, just use a hopsock. I use a sock for all my pellet additions.

90C isn't barely enough. I remember it being ~ 80C or something. Don't trust the number, find a ref. easier still, start pump straightaway through chiller and back into the kettle at an angle to create a whirlpool. Kills a few birds with the same pebble.

You'll need some kind of filtration if using a plate chiller I believe as they are easily clogged. Do you have a hop screen in the kettle?

I chuck pellets in loose and flowers in a minimash bag but I've not yet set up my plate chiller (I have used one though).

I was more concerend about "overdoing" the hop aroma if I threw them in loose, versus pulling a bag out just before I start to whirlpool.

I have a tea ball strainer on the outlet inside my urn but it probably wont filter out hop debris too much. If I risk blocking my plate chiller then I will definitely use a bag.

Seems odd to me. If you're worried about overdoing it, use less hops, rather than use more but try and get less out of them.

Blasphemy. You can never overdo hop aroma.

Htfu.

Btw, ur teaball strainer idea is excellent. I just hate having to mop hop pellet debris from the kettle. Sticky little green bastards.

Late hopping can often be excessive.

You can add too much malt, too many hops, too much water and too much yeast.

I'm gonna choke your kittens!

Then stuff them in your airlocks.

Then force you to use said airlocks on drum type fermenters for that heresy!

I cant do the recirc through the chiller and back to the kettle to whirlpool "this time" as I dont have a hose long enough to reach the pump (But its on my shopping list)
This brew is only 24 IBU with a 60 min addition, so dont want to risk adding more IBUs with my flameout addition.
So I will use a bag, add them once the worts cooled to 80C, let them steep for 15 mins, then stir to whirlpool.

Thanks once again..

You seem like a lovely bloke. A kind man and a gentleman. Now why'd you go do something like that!

(of course, I'm an arsehole)

I'm gonna choke your kittens!

Then stuff them in your airlocks.

Then force you to use said airlocks on drum type fermenters for that heresy!

Will this make my airlocks bubble?

What do you guys do?

Truman, I havent encountered a clogged plate, mind you i havent pushed my luck, but i'd be wary of recircing if your using one.

I used to do the immersion chiller and recirc/whirlpool thing, and i'll say the whirlpooling action is slow to take effect. So be aware that unless you've made a WP manually with a spoon and let it settle first before you start your plate recirc (and be gentle with that as well) you'll probably have every bit of hop debris you've added doing laps through the plate. And so yeah, the hop bag might help.

My usual method is whirlpool 5mins after flameout and add loose flameout addition here, let it settle for 10min, then run into fermentors.

Back