Flaked Wheat = Unprocessed Wheat Bran?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipwebb

Reaction score
Hi All

I am trying to find a substitute for flaked wheat. My local supermarkets / health food shops do not stock anything like flaked wheat.

The only thing I can find is unprocessed wheat bran. Is this the same, or at least close enough to use sucessfully as a substitute for flaked wheat?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Phil

Hi All

I am trying to find a substitute for flaked wheat. My local supermarkets / health food shops do not stock anything like flaked wheat.

The only thing I can find is unprocessed wheat bran. Is this the same, or at least close enough to use sucessfully as a substitute for flaked wheat?

Phil

Hey Phil,

What are you going to make with it?
Would Torrified Wheat do the trick?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi All

Phil

I don't think the wheat bran will work. As far as I am aware, the bran is the outside of the wheat kernel, and we want the inside. Have you considered using puffed wheat (the breakfast cereal), vitabrits, or weetbix ?

Wheat bran is not the same as whole wheat in any of its forms: torrefied, flaked, etc... Wheat bran is what's left over after removing the starchy part (flour). Since what you want is actually the flour or starch, wheat bran will most definetly not do.

I have seen people use wholewheat flour that's been added directly to the mash. I don't know what conversion you'd have between wheat flakes / torrefied wheat and flour, but I imagine close to 1:1.

MFS

Thanks all for the replies.

I am looking for a substitute for either torrefied wheat and/or flaked wheat.

Is the wheat bix option realistic??

Has anybody used this with any success?

Torrefied wheat is not available to me either locally.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks all for the replies.

I am looking for a substitute for either torrefied wheat and/or flaked wheat.

Is the wheat bix option realistic??

Has anybody used this with any success?

Torrefied wheat is not available to me either locally.

Cheers

Phil

Again, do some research into wheat flour. This is what most people in your situation seem to use.

MFS.

Again, do some research into wheat flour. This is what most people in your situation seem to use.

MFS.

Thanks MFS

I will have a search around and do some investigation in to wheat flour.

Thanks

Phil

Back