Flaked barly ect

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev R

Reaction score
All of my brews so far are malted grain, hops ,water, yeast and some minerals. What does flaked barley rolled oats ect bring to the table?
Kev

All of my brews so far are malted grain, hops ,water, yeast and some minerals. What does flaked barley rolled oats ect bring to the table?
Kev
The flaked adjuncts will improve mouth feel, and for making a smoother beer, it can also improve head retention, I have just made an Oatmeal stout, not my first but one of my favourite beers, cold steeped dark grain and the oats go to making a smoother drink. What is it you are brewing or intending to brew?

Not sure what style. It's Pale ale 53%
wheat 18%
Vienna 18%
Cara malt 10%
Chock 1%
Usually Nottingham , last one Windsor yeast
Head and head retention are reasonable. Mostly wanting to understand what it does as I have seen it in other recipes
Hops Super pride @ 60 min
Amarillo and Willamette in whirl pool

Those raw grains can produce significant increase in mouthfeel that is often due to the beta glucan that they provide. However, beta glucan also increases the potential for haze or cloudiness in your finished beer.

I like using a percent or two of flaked wheat in many of my beers as a way to increase head production and retention. I've used flaked barley in many beers including stouts, but I find that barley imparts a very grainy flavor that is more apparent in pale beer styles. Flaked wheat has very little flavor to me. So I've stopped using flaked barley and gone to the flaked wheat.

Those raw grains can produce significant increase in mouthfeel that is often due to the beta glucan that they provide. However, beta glucan also increases the potential for haze or cloudiness in your finished beer.

I like using a percent or two of flaked wheat in many of my beers as a way to increase head production and retention. I've used flaked barley in many beers including stouts, but I find that barley imparts a very grainy flavor that is more apparent in pale beer styles. Flaked wheat has very little flavor to me. So I've stopped using flaked barley and gone to the flaked wheat.
I am about to do a wheat beer in which the grain bill is 53.2% flaked wheat, 44.6% 2 row, 2.2% oats, I am still going to make it but was concerned about the amount of flaked wheat, have you ever used an amount as large as this?

I am about to do a wheat beer in which the grain bill is 53.2% flaked wheat, 44.6% 2 row, 2.2% oats, I am still going to make it but was concerned about the amount of flaked wheat, have you ever used an amount as large as this?

I would be worried about the 2 row not having enough diastatic power to convert the wheat starch. Maybe substitute a chunk of the flaked wheat for wheat malt?

The recipe was the gold medal winner of the Belgian Ale (category 21) 2018 NHC. I am concerned about the amount of flaked wheat but I guess I won't know unless I have a go.

Just a question about Flaked Barley. I want to get some to try in a Stout I want to make, but cant seem to get hold of any. I live in the Illawarra and looking online haven't found it listed anywhere. Anyone seen it available that I may have missed? Thanks.

There are a few homebrew stores stock flaked barley, flaked wheat I found harder to get eventually got it from G and G but if it is for a stout I would try the supermarket for steamed rolled barley with low salt. The sodium chloride can be beneficial in a stout.

Yes Brewman has Flaked Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice and Maize (that's a grist not flaked same/same) and people keep wondering why we in the Hunter feel so well looked after.
Have to agree with razz, the practical upper limit for unmalted adjunct is about 40%. even at that amount you would want to be doing some very careful step mashing to get all or of most of your adjunct converted.
Doing a small cereal cook with your adjunct and 10-20% malt would help, start at ambient and warm slowly to a boil (ideally at 0.5oC/minute) or if your rate of rise is faster, with rests at Glucanase, Protease and Amylase temperatures, up to a boil, then return the cook to the main mash and start your normal mash regime.
Mark

PS
I just brewed an ANZAC Ale for work, it's 10% Toasted Flaked Oats, I did a stove top cereal cook, Oats and some malt slow heat to 100oC then just dumped in to the mash, worked well hit all the numbers and the beer tastes pretty good. Always wanted to have a go at a beer that evokes ANZAC biscuit flavours (oats, coconut and golden syrup), very happy this this attempt.
M

I’ve seen it at Woonona homebrew before. Its on the last stock list I have a photo of.

The recipe was the gold medal winner of the Belgian Ale (category 21) 2018 NHC. I am concerned about the amount of flaked wheat but I guess I won't know unless I have a go.
Just doing a "recipe edit" in Brewers friend WEAL and I noticed that in the fermentables box there is a Diastatic Power indicator in the bottom of the box. When you put in the grains etc it will predict the DP for the grain bill. It also says minimum DP of 30+. Not sure if you use this but it would be beneficial with that recipe.

Just doing a "recipe edit" in Brewers friend WEAL and I noticed that in the fermentables box there is a Diastatic Power indicator in the bottom of the box. When you put in the grains etc it will predict the DP for the grain bill. It also says minimum DP of 30+. Not sure if you use this but it would be beneficial with that recipe.
Thanks razz I did calculate the diastatic power, (hadn't noticed the DP box) to the grain bill I have 137 lintner for the conversion of a 5.165 kg grain bill so should be more than enough.

Sorry for the delay.

That is a boatload of flaked wheat and it has no diastatic power. Fortunately, you are using a good charge of 2 row. I've not used that much flaked wheat. Why not use wheat malt for at least a portion of the wheat component?

Sorry for the delay.

That is a boatload of flaked wheat and it has no diastatic power. Fortunately, you are using a good charge of 2 row. I've not used that much flaked wheat. Why not use wheat malt for at least a portion of the wheat component?
I did think the same thing that it certainly was over the top with the flaked wheat, but you never know if you don't have a go, so I made it came out 4 points under predicted OG but I did do a no sparge mash, if I were to do it again I would sparge, and I did put extra grain in to compensate. I also lost a litre more than predicted due to absorption, but now I know where the mistakes were should I enjoy it and make it again it will be better.

Did you do a long Glucan rest?
Be interesting to see where your FG ends up, depending on the mash regime it could be quite high, and I wouldn't be surprised if the beer was very turbid (soupy).
Mark

Back