Flaked barly ect

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did a single infusion mash, gravity reading morning of the 3rd day 1.016.
here is the full recipe.
Brunchmaster 2000 Witbier

Thomas Kinzer of Milwaukie, OR, member of the Men Who Stare at Airlocks, won a gold medal in Category 21: Belgian Ale during the 2018 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Portland, OR. Kinzer’s Belgian witbier was chosen as the best among 202 entries in the category.

To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2018 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.

Brunchmaster 2000 Witbier | Witbier
INGREDIENTS
  • For 5.5 US gallons (20.8 L)
  • MALTS
  • 6 lb. (2.72 kg) flaked wheat
  • 4.5 lb. (2.04 kg) Briess pale two-row malt
  • 4 oz. (113 g) flaked oats
  • HOPS
  • 0.65 oz. (18 g) Amarillo, 9% a.a. @ 20 min
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Amarillo, 9% a.a. @ 15 min
  • 1 oz. (28 g) Amarillo, 9% a.a. @ 0 min
  • WATER
  • Malt-forward (CaCl 75–100% of Ca additions) water profile that is appropriate for your water. Resist the urge to use gypsum to boost hop crispness; this is a round, balanced to malty beer with heavy hop aroma and flavor, not bitterness.
  • ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS
  • 0.1 oz. (2.8 g) freshly ground coriander @ 5 min
  • 0.1 oz. (2.8 g) freshly ground bitter orange peel @ 5 min
  • 0.25 tsp. (1.2 g) Wyeast yeast nutrient @ 1 min
  • YEAST
  • Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier, 1 L starter
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.050 (12.5° P)
  • Final Gravity: 1.012 (3° P)
  • ABV: 5%
  • IBU: 18
  • SRM: 3-4
DIRECTIONS
Use BIAB single infusion mash at 152°F (67°C) for 90 to 120 minutes. Stir occasionally, keeping mash between 150 and 152°F (66 and 67°C). Remove bag. Measure gravity, adjust volumes for gravity vs. evaporation rate/boil length if needed to hit target OG of 1.050 and begin boil. It’s very important that you chill immediately and quickly because this is a hop-bursted beer. Delays will cause the beer to be too bitter. Chill to 64°F (18°C), oxygenate and pitch. Fermentation should start low and finish high: let primary free-rise gradually over the course of two weeks, bumping with heat, if needed later in the fermentation, to finish at 78° F (26°C) at the very end. Let sit in primary at 78°F (26°C) for a few days and keg, then chill and carbonate to taste (high level for wit). Ready to drink as soon as it is carbonated.

Do not add more coriander or orange peel to the recipe. Let the Amarillo do the heavy orange lifting. Watch your base malt’s diastatic power, too. Briess 2-row has worked for me, but other malts might have issues fully converting so much adjunct.

Yer but that's only like 56% yield from the recipe above (4.873 kg of grist) 20.8L of 1.050 (12.5oP),
mass of extract = V (20.8)*SG (1.050)*oP(12.5) = 2.73kg. 2.73/4.873=56%
Not a surprise really, doing a high adjunct brew as an isothermal is pretty wasteful.
Mark

Bottled the wheat beer 1 week before going overseas, on the bottling the Amarillo was really forward, about 4 weeks now since bottling, the hops have dropped back and can now taste the corriander and the bitter orange peel. A refreshing drink and though I missed out on the OG-FG still a good drink, I will make again but as suggested will go with a portion of the recipe with wheat malt in place of some of the flaked wheat. will be a good summer session beer.
003.JPG

Try the Health Food Shop, might even be cheaper.
That is where I initially went, I bought 3 kg from Hindustani imports, wasn't until I got home I checked the salt content, it was to high for wheat beer, or any light beer for that matter. I tried it as a porridge but it was disgusting. The flaked barley they sell goes well in a stout.

Back