Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Flaked barly ect

Discussion in 'Grain, Malt and Adjuncts' started by Kev R, 6/2/19.

1. Kev R

Posted 6/2/19
    All of my brews so far are malted grain, hops ,water, yeast and some minerals. What does flaked barley rolled oats ect bring to the table?
    Kev

2. Reg Holt

Posted 6/2/19
    The flaked adjuncts will improve mouth feel, and for making a smoother beer, it can also improve head retention, I have just made an Oatmeal stout, not my first but one of my favourite beers, cold steeped dark grain and the oats go to making a smoother drink. What is it you are brewing or intending to brew?

3. Kev R

Posted 7/2/19
    Not sure what style. It's Pale ale 53%
    wheat 18%
    Vienna 18%
    Cara malt 10%
    Chock 1%
    Usually Nottingham , last one Windsor yeast
    Head and head retention are reasonable. Mostly wanting to understand what it does as I have seen it in other recipes
    Hops Super pride @ 60 min
    Amarillo and Willamette in whirl pool

4. mabrungard

Home Page:
    Posted 9/2/19
    Those raw grains can produce significant increase in mouthfeel that is often due to the beta glucan that they provide. However, beta glucan also increases the potential for haze or cloudiness in your finished beer.

I like using a percent or two of flaked wheat in many of my beers as a way to increase head production and retention. I've used flaked barley in many beers including stouts, but I find that barley imparts a very grainy flavor that is more apparent in pale beer styles. Flaked wheat has very little flavor to me. So I've stopped using flaked barley and gone to the flaked wheat.

5. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 9/2/19
    I am about to do a wheat beer in which the grain bill is 53.2% flaked wheat, 44.6% 2 row, 2.2% oats, I am still going to make it but was concerned about the amount of flaked wheat, have you ever used an amount as large as this?

6. Milhouse

Posted 10/2/19
    I would be worried about the 2 row not having enough diastatic power to convert the wheat starch. Maybe substitute a chunk of the flaked wheat for wheat malt?

7. razz

Pro Pro

Posted 10/2/19
    So far I read two retail sites that say no more than 40% flaked wheat, and Cargill.com says 40% max also.

8. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 10/2/19
    The recipe was the gold medal winner of the Belgian Ale (category 21) 2018 NHC. I am concerned about the amount of flaked wheat but I guess I won't know unless I have a go.

razz likes this.