Flaked Barley?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
what can be used in place of flaked barley, as i have never found it in the LHBS.

also will torified wheat replace Flaked Wheat?

Ben

Hi ben what are you doing with the flaked barley?
You could just leave it out and use extra pale malt.
I think flaked barley does not really do that much for any brews. saying it aids in head formation and rention doesn't really mean much to a all grain brewer when the base malts etc we use will give you a damn fine dense head anyway.
Flaked darley will not add anymore body.
You could try your supermarket for it or just leave it out.

I would be happy to sub the torriefied wheat for flaked wheat but don't have any experience with flaked wheat as such.

Cheers Jayse

Ben,

If you need some flaked barley we can send you some.

It will have the effect of drying your beer.

Dave

like any unmalted flaked/puffed adjunct it will add a bready/graininess to the final beer and adds body

Whole food or healthfood stores often stock it. Doesn't make much difference if flaked or puffed

Jovial Monk

thanks guys,

I am looking at brewing a Steam beer, and the recipe i saw contained these in 200g for wheat and 400g for the flaked barley i think if i remember correct

I have used flaked barley in stouts and I think it adds a bit of smoothness to the stout. I haven't used it in any other beers though.

Cheers
Pedro

I tried Flaked barley in a pale ale partial mash 250 gms cant say what it added but the beer was smooth and drank weel Cheers Jethro :blink: :chug:

Back