Fixing Bitter Red –> Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charst

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a hoppy american Red Ale No Chill the other week, fermented to 1.007, Smells great but is super bitter.
To fix this i thought id steep 250g JW caramalt and 150g pale choc i had on hand to sweeten up and save the batch.
im now calling it an american brown.

Tasted tonight 24 hours after additions and its 1.009 and has a nice choc and subtle sweetness but its still too bitter.
AIPA Bitter,

Recipe with additions attached,

I have the following at my disposal that i could steep/boil and add: thoughts

250G JW Caramalt
100g Pale Choc
500g Wey Carapils
1kg DME

Cheers

ScreenShot2013-03-25at83151PM_zpsf0de38b7.png

Package it and leave it for a few months, bitterness will drop out.

I don't see any good coming from messing about with other additions, especially post-boil.

vortex said:
Package it and leave it for a few months, bitterness will drop out.

I don't see any good coming from messing about with other additions, especially post-boil.
Too true. What I have ended up doing to save tipping a batch like this is making a second batch of super-smooth something and blending it at the time of serving. PITA I know, but I've salvaged whole batches this way.

Cheers Boys i know i should try blending with a low bitterness ale but CBF.
Agree the hop bitterness will drop you over time but I dont know if bitterness or hop flavour drop first. being a hoppy American Brown now Im still after that fresh hop character to an extent.

Latest posts

Back