Fixing an overly bitter coffee porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hi all,
I made a delicious chocolate porter - but ruined it by adding too many shots of espresso.

It still tastes amazing - BUT - it's WAY too bitter.
I know it will mellow over time - but I don't really have much time and would like to drink it in about 3 weeks.

I've read some have tackled highly bitter beers by putting lactose in?

The beer is still in fermenter at around 18.5C. Have not crashed chilled or carbonated yet (I keg).

Cheers!
Hunt

How much espresso did you add?

I know this might sound weird but salt is also good at de-bittering coffee but I usually only do it when brewing. I usually add a about a 1/4 tsp to my larger french press, or just a pinch to the grind in my stovetop espresso maker - https://www.thoughtco.com/does-salt-in-coffee-reduce-bitterness-607366 - maybe pour off a glass, add a pinch of salt and see if it helps, experiment before committing..

You could also add maybe 200-250g lactose if there's room for a little more sweetness.. but you know what, in a few weeks it could probably start to balance out without any intervention..

For a 20L batch with about 1L left over (corny keg) I added about 8 individual 40ml espresso shots. Proper espresso, not nespresso or anything like that.

That's around 8-10g of coffee beans for every litre of beer. Generous! Properly extracted espresso shots should not add offensive bitterness, so you might find that time is the best ingredient. It maybe that the flavours just need to integrate.

I suggest taking this opportunity to experiment and try to "fix" each drink as you pour it. Come back and enlighten us all as to what works and what does not.

Can't help with your problem, but I'd be keen to hear your full recipe

Hi,

Lactose works.

Just have to add a bit to a sample then scale up to full size to get right ratio. Boil it and add at kegging.

Latest posts

Back