Five Islands Brewery, Wollongong.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had to lay off the Metal though ... more of a thinking mans music kind of guy...

Alan at Campbelltown CC has things all covered with his own brews now. Must get out there to give it a whirl.

All has settled at 5iBC, all fresh new beers at the bar now; some names have changed, some have stayed the same but all new and sparkly.

Even Mr Beef reckons the beer is drinkable I hear...

Good to hear Scotty, look forward to trying them

Kabooby :)

Hargie
I know you have done some great work on this, in fact I cite the groundbraking paper (well note really) Mash and Ramstein, an Empirical view of Enzyme reaction to Muzak, Himmler, Xyholz and Hargi, UNEWT 2006 was wonderfull, but I feel that as a result some brewers extrapolate the "Muzak" effect to the entire brew. I am suggesting from my limited studies that post mash metal is not good for beer, particularly in the fermentation stage, it appears that the yeast create vast amounts of petite mutants which conflict with the primary strain and cause I guess what can be best described as yeast vomit.
Australian style Lagers/Bitters do remarkably well fermented to Graingers "Country Garden"
Funky Belgians go hammers at Plastic Bertrand.
Euro ales seem to like Aqua for some inexplicable reason...
If you want a great APA..John Denver

K

Australian style Lagers/Bitters do remarkably well fermented to Graingers "Country Garden"

K

I never thought I'd see the day when Percy Grainger's name would crop up on a beer blog site. Dr K, you astound me sir.

I like my Aussie brew to ferment to Midnight Oil, sharp, bitter, big head.

I'd like to see Five Islands back to where it was. A day / night at the footy at WIN Stadium just wouldn't be the same without a few draughts of quality brew on the way in to tide me over until a couple more on the way out. Carlton Cold in plastic bottles is clearly the worst thing seen at the ground since the 1988 Steelers.

dr K you crack me up.

FG, you won't be disappointed if you revisit. 5IBC had a tasting last week and all the beers were terrific, clean and flavoursome.

Hargie
I know you have done some great work on this, in fact I cite the groundbraking paper (well note really) Mash and Ramstein, an Empirical view of Enzyme reaction to Muzak, Himmler, Xyholz and Hargi, UNEWT 2006 was wonderfull, but I feel that as a result some brewers extrapolate the "Muzak" effect to the entire brew. I am suggesting from my limited studies that post mash metal is not good for beer, particularly in the fermentation stage, it appears that the yeast create vast amounts of petite mutants which conflict with the primary strain and cause I guess what can be best described as yeast vomit.
Funky Belgians go hammers at Plastic Bertrand.
Euro ales seem to like Aqua for some inexplicable reason...
If you want a great APA..John Denver

K

...Indeed Doc....how about this...10 October 2008...i saw my favorite band of alltime....Down...(hence Downundamutha etc etc)...got to meet founding members Pepper Keenan & Jimmy Bower....Pepper is also the head honcho of another fave Corrosion of Conformity....who's 1996 album Wiseblood provided the name for my (now former) Nationals winning Hefeweizen...i got to tell him as much...end result...??? he loved it...the next Wiseblood Wheat Beer should be off the hook... :super:
n569156207_1919848_3990.jpg ...and to distill my mash metal thesis you mention into a few words for the new brewer...."mash in to Led Zeppelin"....or Sabbath....or Pantera...or Down...or Corrosion...or etc etc...sorry for the hijack...please drive throo...

I find that Australian bitters ferment best with the recordings of the pronouncements of retired prime ministers.

I find that Australian bitters ferment best with the recordings of the pronouncements of retired prime ministers.

I'm sure a John Howard speech would put any yeast to sleep.

you won't be disappointed if you revisit. 5IBC had a tasting last week and all the beers were terrific, clean and flavoursome

Excellent news. :icon_drool2:

Is the bottling plant / line up and running at 5IB yet ?

Back