Five Islands Brewery, Wollongong.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
A brewing mate of mine was down at Wollongong last Sunday afternoon and went around to the Five Islands Brewery for a beer. It was closed. I was at a Wollongong restaurant the following day and ordered a Pig Dog Pilsner. The waiter said that they could not get any supplies from Five Islands. Says that they are devolving their range to a few boutique beers.

Any Illawarra brewers know what the score is with the brewery.

Cheers, Hoges.

It's in a bit of flux atm. The bar is for sale. The brewery moved to North Wollongong about a year ago. They just hired a new brewer this week. Give it a few months to settle down and see what happens. I understand they're going to go into the packaged products rather than over the bar sales. If you do catch the bar open, the Bulli Black and Dapto Draught are worth a go. I've also heard good things about the Shark Oil, but haven't had it myself recently.

Hoges

As PoMo mentioned, the 5iBC has a few things going on.

Tim resigned as brewer about a month ago and I have been manning the taps on the brewing side in the interim (thanks to the 2nd redundancy in 12 months!). Andrew Gow the new brewer arrived last week. With a little more hand over I will be rolling out and leaving the heavy lifting to Andrew. Andrew is a well experienced brewer, he was the commander of Mountain Goat Brewery for about 8 years.

Lots of hard work has been done in the last few weeks, so on the beer side I can say things are all go. Dunno about the plans for beer whether packaged or not, but there is a healthy forward bookings for 5iBC beer and contract.

Scotty

Hiya

Its in a nondescript building in Ralph Black drive....

Scotty

yeah look I used to be a huge fan of the brewery, but I went there last weekend and it was pretty rubbish. The beers I had (dapto draught and longboard/ or surfboard?) tasted WORSE than my homebrew kit beers.

New brewer or not, it was absolute shit house!

yeah look I used to be a huge fan of the brewery, but I went there last weekend and it was pretty rubbish. The beers I had (dapto draught and longboard/ or surfboard?) tasted WORSE than my homebrew kit beers.
New brewer or not, it was absolute shit house!
There can be little doubt, the FIBC is damaging its reputation at present. I hope it lifts its game soon. Its been a favorite place to get a beer for some years, but at present Id rather drink elsewhere.
I hope the management of the place get their head around what they are doing soon, as they are driving their own price down for the sale of the business.
I did a preliminary walk through for a client who thought I was out of my head.
They were not impressed.
:(

Will be another fortnight or so till any of the beer myself and Andrew has brewed will be on tap. All criticism appreciated...

Scotty

You have a slightly "far side" sense of humour. I don't know if that is a criticism??

You have a slightly "far side" sense of humour. I don't know if that is a criticism??

And some think i also mumble, but never seemed to notice that myself...

Just wondering if the Rydges Hotel Campbelltown has any of this new beer on tap, or are they still serving the old stuff?

I'm keen to try some to see how it is

Kabooby :)

Just wondering if the Rydges Hotel Campbelltown has any of this new beer on tap, or are they still serving the old stuff?

I'm keen to try some to see how it is

Kabooby :)

If they are, count me in. Still haven't checked out Rydges yet.

I'm at the Catholic Club tomorrow so I'll pop in and check what they've got.

If you are going to be there mid afternoon give me a call. I might be in the area

kabooby :)

Alan at Campbelltown CC has things all covered with his own brews now. Must get out there to give it a whirl.

All has settled at 5iBC, all fresh new beers at the bar now; some names have changed, some have stayed the same but all new and sparkly.

Even Mr Beef reckons the beer is drinkable I hear...

Alan at Campbelltown CC has things all covered with his own brews now. Must get out there to give it a whirl.

All has settled at 5iBC, all fresh new beers at the bar now; some names have changed, some have stayed the same but all new and sparkly.

Even Mr Beef reckons the beer is drinkable I hear...

Is Alan the cellerman from CCC?

....I'd like to add that i had the pleasure of working along side Andrew Gow for a month or so when i started up here ( Sunshine Coast Brewery)...top bloke , top brewer who knows his way round a brewhouse and how to get the job done...no doubt at all that the beers will be up to scratch...folks, keep quality coffee up to him and he's your man...

Back