Fitting Taps To A Fridge - Advice Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorBob

Reaction score
Hi all,

just got a freebie fridge so going to move from a party style keg top tap to taps in the side of the fridge.

The fridge is a Westinghouse Freestyle 440L fridge / freezer, model RE441S-R.

It has a big cooling plate in the back. (see pic)

Does this mean I am ok to drill the side of the fridge rather than the door, or will there be more cooling lines in the fridge walls?

Cheers for the advice

DrBob

P1020982.JPG

P1020983.JPG

theres still often lines in the walls as they can be used as door heaters so the door wont freeze shut.
so i would say that there probably is lines in the walls. be carfull drilling it, why are you going through the side and not the front anyway?

theres still often lines in the walls as they can be used as door heaters so the door wont freeze shut.
so i would say that there probably is lines in the walls. be carfull drilling it, why are you going through the side and not the front anyway?

I was going to / would like to go through the side as it faces the garage door, and leaves the fridge door to open without being connected to anything.

I am not too bothered so maybe just safer to go through the fridge door!

Cheers

DrBob

Best off drilling a pilot hole and having a dig around to make sure the path is clear first in any event

Cheers

ok, sounds sensible.

I also did wonder if I could check around the back and would be able to see any lines going into the side wall.

Also if your going through the light side be carefull of the power wires to the light

I have drilled through the walls of three fridges so far and never found any lines. What Zabond said is smart, watch out for the wiring to the light and also thermostat. On all my fridges, the wiring for the light is on the surface of the wall, not inside the wall. Most modern fridges (last 10 to 15 years) don't seem to have any lines contained in the side walls, only on the back wall.
Best of luck.

the fridge i am converting has no pipes in the side walls i am using the no thermostat side

Also if your going through the light side be carefull of the power wires to the light

Thanks...the light & thermostat wires seem to be surface mounted in a conduit, so no probs there!

Back