Fit 4mm Id Line On 6mm Regulator Barb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvern

Reaction score
Ok, so clearly this would be easier if I had 6mm ID line instead of 4mm, but I have 25m of 4mm line so trying to give it a shot.

So far I have managed to get line on to two out of five barbs on my regulator by heating up the line in boiling water first. I've secured with a hose clamp but I understand that this really isn't an ideal setup.

Anyone got any tips for getting 4mm ID/8mm OD beer line on to 6mm barbs?

Thanks,

Ok, so clearly this would be easier if I had 6mm ID line instead of 4mm, but I have 25m of 4mm line so trying to give it a shot.

So far I have managed to get line on to two out of five barbs on my regulator by heating up the line in boiling water first. I've secured with a hose clamp but I understand that this really isn't an ideal setup.

Anyone got any tips for getting 4mm ID/8mm OD beer line on to 6mm barbs?

Thanks,

Try using a 5mm screw driver or something to stetch the end of the hose first

At least you won't need hose clamps ;)

(its hard enough to get 5mm on 6mm barbs...)

I've got two large barbs and use a hair dryer and a round pen or similar. Shove the pen in while the line is warm, then turn the tap on it with the pen inside.

Needle nose pliers work well - heat up as much as you can using a hairdryer or boiling water, insert pliers, pull handles out to stretch. Works a treat. Generally I get bigger ID for gas though and go John Guest fittings wherever possible

Needle nose pliers work well - heat up as much as you can using a hairdryer or bliling water, insert pliers, pull handles out to stretch. Works a treat.

This

Generally I get bigger ID for gas though and go John Guest fittings wherever possible

And this :)

Be wary of JG directly on the regulator (touching the metal reg).... Cracked on me twice :( down the line JG was ok.

Watch your hands too. The reg connector has bloody sharp edges on the micromatic - I chiseled a chunk off my finger with a 5mm ID fitting ... nearly on, nearly on - SLIP.

Had that same experience yesterday Nick.

swearing and lots of effort

If you've managed to get two on you should be able to do the rest as well, just be patient and make sure your water is really boiling while immersing the line.

Mine's on by the skin of its teeth! Doesn't leak. As far as my girly fingers could get it on.

IMG_3802.JPG

Here's my solution to the CPBF needing a fat line or a JG fitting. Inner diameter? Meh! :D Beer line. Doesn't leak.

EDIT: I can give cheap STD tests too if you need them.

IMG_3803.JPG

Latest posts

Back