Fish Food In Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal.p

Reaction score
Hi,
Now on my third home brew.

I've noticed that after fermenting a CB fresh wort kit (Belgian Pale Ale) for 10 days and then bottling (via stocking covered wand) there are fish food like flakes in the beer.

I'm not too concerned about the flakes too much as the beer tasted/smelled OK when bottling. Are these yeast rafts? Or is it residue from not cleaning/sanitising enough? Or do those plastic brew bottle have a lining?

I've a Dubbel in the fermenter right now and would like to avoid this when bottling time arrives. Do you other brewers out there have any tips or suggestions?

Cheers,
Neal
IMAG0511.jpg

Is that picture before or after it's been bottle conditioned?

If before, try to leave more crud in the fermentor, if after it's probably just yeast from the bottle priming, so try to pour your bottles more carefully and leave the yeast sediment in the bottom.

Once it's carbed stick it in the fridge for a few days then gently pour it off the bottle yeast and enjoy.

Did u cold chill the whole fermenter prior to bottling ? Just looks like standard bottling muck to me...

Let it settle

Once it's carbed stick it in the fridge for a few days then gently pour it off the bottle yeast and enjoy.

Did u cold chill the whole fermenter prior to bottling ? Just looks like standard bottling muck to me...

Let it settle

Ah OK, thanks. I didn't chill the fermenter at all. The muck was new to me coming from K&K's.

Back