First Wort Hopping In Brewmate.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
When adding a first wort hopping schedule to brewmate Ive noticed it doesnt effect the IBU's at all. Unless of course you add a boil time.

So is it correct that if Im adding first wort hops and my boil time is 90 minutes I should add this to the FWH time?

Will this give me accurate IBU's?

Not being au fait with brewmate I can't assist you with plugging in the details with that program.

FWH is moving most of your flavour/aroma hops to the beginning. These are usually low AA hops and adds only a small amount to bittering.
The idea is that the oils that provide flavour/aroma become more soluble at the lower temperature as you fill the boil kettle and less volatile, therefore retaining more flavour/aroma.
So just as normal late additions contribute to IBUs, it is very minimal.

Just had a look at my beersmith and if Brewmate is the same, plug in your boil length plus the time it takes to fill the kettle during the sparge.
ie. if it takes 20 mins to completely fill your kettle and you boil for 60 mins then plug in 80 mins

Ok thanks will give that a try. The recipe says to use high alpha hops like Topaz or Stella. Im doing the Single hopped IPA clone (Legget) rom seven sheds brewery.

Back