First Wort Hopping Article

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly turns things upside down.

Only just tried FWH for the first time a few weeks back (both in secondary at the moment), so I'm interested to see if there's any difference.

And with my crap effiency in the 50s, I'm not keen to only mash for 20 minutes, although I think my problem is more with my sparging.

The aeration ones a big surprise too. Although, the first few kit beers I did, I didn't know about it, and didn't worry, never had a problem.

Wreck.

Bear in mind that the author of this report was trained by a mega brewer who brews in MEGA LTs, There brewing setups are completely different to ours, so techniques and results would be different to.

Andrew

One of the things megabrewers do is use like a 4L/KG ratio. I have stopped believing in FWH, one guy in SA swears by it, but also adds flavor/aroma additions and even dryhops his lagers!

Australian lager malts have lots of diastatic power, UK ale malts have half the DP of the Aussie lager malts, so bear in mind what malt you are using, and use the iodine test to make sure when experimenting.

As to no step mashes, well Weyermann Bamberg Pils malt gives a run-off like stock (totally opaque) unless step mashed.

I think the article is being debated on the HBD, be interesting to surf there (hbd.org) in a week or two and see what the consensus there is.

Jovial Monk

Very good info there.
I can see the airation doesn't really aply to us because we don't have the same means to count yeast cells and insure the best airation.
Also the 20 min mash we don't have the same equipment, mills and mash types as the situation in a brewery he is talking about.

The FWH stuff is great to here.
I have often wondered about that as most info is not that reliable and the fact everyone says only use noble hops speaks for itself.
ie... low alpha noble hops will give a much smoother bitterness anyway so it not the FWH that does it but the type of hops used.
Iam glad the FWH myths have been backed up by someone really in the know.

Jayse

mmmmmm
so whats the feeling then about adding hops to the crush.?
havent tried this yet im just trying to find a house brew that i wanna brew every other week.gotta 50 litre keg to fill sometime ;)

cheers
big d

Back