First Wort Hop addition with a Braumeister

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen some recipes that call for a FWH and my understanding from what i have researched is that to add the hops at the end of the mash, drain the mash tun and commence the boil. Having the luxury of a 20lt SB I am trying to figure out when i add the hops as the mash tun and kettle are the same unit.

Dan
:chug:

Maybe once you have drained and sparged malt pipe and removed then pop them in a hop bag and chuck in as pump will still be running

After you mash/sparge and before you push the boil button.

ok, so when that commences the boil will the hops not create bitterness of a 90 min hop addition? as i boil for 90 mins>>>

or....can i just add this when i lift the malt pipe and and start the sparge? see i thought i had to add it to the mash at Sacc rest and then when i lift the malt pipe those hop pellets get removed with the grain>>>>

I just put em in after i hit the start boil button while the pipe drains. Use a hop sock and I never have a pump problem.

Can't remember if FWH makes a difference? To many homebrews :D Nah just kidding, I reckon they do in certain styles though.

Yeah have never used fwh in my brau so dont really know

Pratty1 said:
ok, so when that commences the boil will the hops not create bitterness of a 90 min hop addition? as i boil for 90 mins>>>
yes, bitter like 90 minutes, plus or minus the 'mystery' that you get from any FWH addition, whatever that might be. Usually you would add your FWH to the kettle while lautering, so Batz and others are spot on. I used to throw them between malt pipe and kettle wall just after lifting the malt pipe, no pump issues when using pellets, pump stops at 80 or 85 degrees degrees anyway, so you could always wait until then if you're worried.

Forget about that hops in mash stuff, different thing altogether.

Edit: grammar

I've never tried FWH myself but I'm very interested in the idea.

After hours Googling the consensus seems to be that while FWH will mathematically add ?? IBU's as a 90 minute addition, on the tongue it tastes like a 20 minute addition. A lot of people have recommended calculating FWH as 20 minute additions in terms of how you will perceive the bitterness compared to regular hopping. Apparently if you calculate the bitterness traditionally as a 60+ minute bitterness addition your beer is going to be nowhere near as bitter as you want it to be.

Apparently the taste is also very similar to a 20 minute addition but the aroma of the hops is boiled off through the full boil. I saw a few people making beers exclusively with FWH for bitterness/taste with 0 minute and/or dry hop additions for aroma. Definitely something I want to try.

As soon as the mash was finished I lifted the malt pipe off BM and onto a bucket to drain and immediately put the hop spider on (at 67 degC).

slash22000 said:
After hours Googling the consensus seems to be that while FWH will mathematically add ?? IBU's as a 90 minute addition, on the tongue it tastes like a 20 minute addition. A lot of people have recommended calculating FWH as 20 minute additions in terms of how you will perceive the bitterness compared to regular hopping. Apparently if you calculate the bitterness traditionally as a 60+ minute bitterness addition your beer is going to be nowhere near as bitter as you want it to be.
Totally disagree with this from experience and logic. You boil for 90 minutes, you get bitterness From 90 minutes.
Have a look what beersmith and Possibly other software does with FWH additions. It adds IBUs according to the boil length and the some (10% or so).

The way I always got it from reading is that the bitterness may be more smooth or rounded,but still in the same IBU ballpark. Some people experience additional aroma and/or flavour similar to a 20 minute addition On top of that bitterness.

Personally I have never been able to notice those extra benefits, so I don't bother anymore. Others might well be lucky enough to experience it, I'm not knocking the method per se.

Latest posts

Back