First Use Of False Bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_010

Curry Master
Reaction score
Having a bit of a rant.

After about a year of BIAB-ing I finally got spare time / cash together and got a mash tun and a false bottom and have just put my first brew through it, a dunkelweizen. Months and months of getting the shits with 60-65% efficiency with BIAB I ran my brew through today and got 82%. Awesome, really happy with that.

Maybe I was doing BIAB wrong? But the neatness of the false bottom, clarity of the wort and first up efficiency means I'm stoked.

Cheers!

Bet you are glad you made the transition now. Only problem is now the bug has bitten how long before pumps, HERMS fancy fittings :lol:

Glad it worked out for you, and especially on your first run.

QldKev

Having a bit of a rant.

After about a year of BIAB-ing I finally got spare time / cash together and got a mash tun and a false bottom and have just put my first brew through it, a dunkelweizen. Months and months of getting the shits with 60-65% efficiency with BIAB I ran my brew through today and got 82%. Awesome, really happy with that.

Maybe I was doing BIAB wrong? But the neatness of the false bottom, clarity of the wort and first up efficiency means I'm stoked.

Cheers!

It seems you were doing something wrong. I BIAB in a 40lt urn & get 86% efficiency.
As far as wort clarity is concerned, it has zero relevance to your finished beer so striving for clear wort into the boil kettle is pointless.
I went the opposite direction than you, esky mash tun with false bottom to a 3V Rims set up & now BIAB in the urn.
Sounds like you are happy with your current decision & you are getting great efficiency. Well done.

It seems you were doing something wrong. I BIAB in a 40lt urn & get 86% efficiency.
As far as wort clarity is concerned, it has zero relevance to your finished beer so striving for clear wort into the boil kettle is pointless.
I went the opposite direction than you, esky mash tun with false bottom to a 3V Rims set up & now BIAB in the urn.
Sounds like you are happy with your current decision & you are getting great efficiency. Well done.

yeah I'd read and spoken to guys who'd got 80% or more through BIABing but I'm stuffed if I could, the best I managed was about 70%. Maybe I wasnt dunking the bag enough? Not squeezing it enough? Who knows, but my first time using a fb and I got the efficiency I was after even with 60% wheat malt so I'm pretty happy.

I actually read an article a while back that said brewery tests showed better flavour stability from turbid wort, so maybe my clear wort is going to produce me a shite beer! But at least I got a lot of the sugars out of my friggen grain.

Cheers

yeah I'd read and spoken to guys who'd got 80% or more through BIABing but I'm stuffed if I could, the best I managed was about 70%. Maybe I wasnt dunking the bag enough? Not squeezing it enough? Who knows, but my first time using a fb and I got the efficiency I was after even with 60% wheat malt so I'm pretty happy.

I actually read an article a while back that said brewery tests showed better flavour stability from turbid wort, so maybe my clear wort is going to produce me a shite beer! But at least I got a lot of the sugars out of my friggen grain.

Cheers

You won't get a shit beer mate, it will be great. Comparing BIAB against my 3V beers is identical really, I can't really notice any difference although my APA seems a tad maltier from BIAB. This could be all in my head though. The great thing for me with BIAB is the simplicity. Back that up with no chill & it makes for an awesome brew day. It sounds as though you are happy with the direction you are going & if you are getting great beer & you are happy with your process, it doesn't matter what anyone says, brew on mate.
Cheers

Back